USA Badminton is pleased to announce the qualifiers for the 2009 Junior Pan American Badminton Tournament August 17 to 23 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
For age groups U-11, U-13, U-15, and U-17 there is no team event. There are individual tournament brackets for boys singles (BS), girls singles (GS), boys doubles (BD), girls doubles (GD) and mixed doubles (XD). The US is allowed to send 4 BS players, 4 GS players, 2 BD pairs (4 players), 2 GD pairs, 4 XD pairs (4 players) or 4 boys and/or 4 girls for each event. The postings indicate the qualifiers and the alternates (if someone for reason of health/injury can not go). A doubles team qualifies as a pair. If one partner cannot go, no substitution is allowed - neither goes and the next eligible pair becomes eligible. Only if no complete pair can go is repairing allowed (e.g. 8th place pair gets a shot before a remade pair of a #2 pair plus a #4 finisher).
U-11 Results in order (those in bold qualify)
U-13 Results in order (those in bold qualify)
|Boys Singles U-11||Girls Singles||Mixed Doubles||Boys Doubles||Girls Doubles|
|Cadmus Yeo||Joanna Liu||C Yeo/J Liu||R Chen/C Yeo||J Liu/K Ma|
|Richard Chen||Breanna Chi||R Chen/C Yuan||J Tam/A Wang||B Chi/J Yeung|
|Jackie Tam||Karen Ma||B Kan/K Ma|
|Bobby Huang||Stephanie Yu||A Wang/J Kan|
|Andre Wang||Angela Huang||J Tam/S Yu||B Kong/R Kong||A Xu/K Xu|
|Zachary Chang||Annie Xu||B Kong/B Chi||Z Chang/J Hu||J Chang/J Kan|
|Justin Hu||Cindy Yuan||Z Chang/A Huang||R Baum/B Huang||A Gong/C Yuan|
|Bradford Kong||Jessica Chang||B Chen/J Chang||S Yu/M Zhang|
U-15 Results in order (those in bold qualify)
|Boys Singles U-13||Girls Singles||Mixed Doubles||Boys Doubles||Girls Doubles|
|Timothy Lam||Anna Tang||C Kan/A Tang||T Lam/D Yang||C Pan/C Yang|
|Justin Ma||Christine Yang||T Lam/C Pan||V Chiu/J Ma||A Tang/A Zhang|
|Raymond Hsia||Michaela Lum||J Ma/C Yang|
|Albert Li||Crystal Pan||C Li/S Wong|
|Darren Yang||Vicky Chen||A La/V Chen||C Kan/C Li||S Wong/C Zhang|
|Vinson Chiu||Angela Zhang||D Yang/A Zhang||M Huang/A Li|
|Alex La||Candy Zhang||V Chiu/M Lum||R Hsia/A Narkar|
|Christopher Kan||Hillary Lai||A Li/C Zhang|
U-17 Results in order (those in bold qualify)
|Boys Singles U-15||Girls Singles||Mixed Doubles||Boys Doubles||Girls Doubles|
|William Cheung||Zandra Ho||W Cheung/S Li||W Cheung/D Long||R Baker/V Chen|
|Kenneth Hui||Samantha Li||K Hui/C Chow||R Ke/C Potu||T Chua/P Lin|
|Alan Shekhtman||Renata Baker||A Shekthman/Z Ho|
|Chetan Potu||Jenni Lu||R Ramakhrisnan/A Lin|
|Gavin Chan||Cherie Chow||K La/R Baker||R Chew/K Hui||H Lai/A Lin|
|Ryan Ke||Angela Lin||K Chan/T Chua||K Chan/R Liu|
|Jin Peng||Phillis Lin||N Waller/P Lin|
|Boys Singles U-17||Girls Singles||Mixed Doubles||Boys Doubles||Girls Doubles|
|Phillip Chew||Iris Wang||J Kuo/C Hardi||P Chew/A Susanto||K Hsu/S Ng|
|Charles Yang||Karine Hsu||B Chi/S Ng||J Kuo/M Buasan||E Kan/S Li|
|Randy Ma||Sharon Ng||P Pelegri/P Shindgikar|
|Patrick Pelegry||Emily Kan||P Chew/I Wang|
|Lee Chern||Phoebe Lin||A Susanto/E Kan||P Donlon/L Chern||C Chow/C Hardi|
|Gary Wang||Claudia Hardi||M Buasan/K Hsu||B Chi/G Wang||T Chan/T Wong|
|Michael Buasan||Priyanka Shindgikar||K Hui/T Wong||K Hui/A Khor||P Lin/C Wu|
|Andrew Susanto||Theresa Liu||G Wang/D Long||R Ma/C Yang||D Long/J Xu|
| || || ||P Pelegry/K Bohr||T Liu/P Shindgikar|
| || || ||J Huang/T Zhuang||T Chua/L Tong|
The U-19 process is different. Four boys and four girls qualify for the U-19 team based on the posted criteria;
- Winners of the events (singles, doubles, mixed)
- If all four slots are not full, the second place singles finisher qualifies
- If all slots are still not filled, a ranking by total finish points across all events determines further qualifiers.
- Team members play the U-19 team event the first 3 days. Pairings may be rearranged by the coach to create the greatest likelihood of team success.
- Team members are given first opportunity for the individual tournament events. If the team members fill all the individual singles events, no further players go for singles. If they do not fill singles slots, further openings up to the total of 4 players are filled in order by the singles finishes from the JIT. If team members pair up with each other to fill the doubles or mixed doubles slots, no one else goes. If the team members do not choose to pair with each other, or wish to play only 1 or 2 events to increase their medal chances, the unfilled slots are filled by the next finishers from the JIT (a team member may not pair with a non-team member, unless they are the next eligible from JIT, and the potential team partner has elected not to play the event).
U-19 Team Qualifiers
|Team Members||Events||Team Members||Events|
|Terrence Pang||1st BS||Rena Wang||1st GS, GD, MX|
|Zenas Lam||1st BD||Iris Wang||1st GD|
|Marvin Lin||1st BD||Rachel Liao||2nd GS|
|Yaw Hwa Chan||1st MX||Isabel Zhong||35|
U-19 Team Alternates in order of points
|Brendan Lum||22.5||Beckie Neumann||30|
|Eric Kuo||20||Tracy Chan||12.5|
|Randy Hsia||7.5||Jennifer Bachner||10|
|Jeechee Chen||6||Tiffany Wong||7.5|
Next steps are
- By 4/15/2009 each athlete must confirm that he/she is going to the tournament and make a $100 deposit (details to be announced) – this will be returned if the athlete goes and forfeited to team expenses if the athlete withdraws.
- Volunteers for co-team leaders (2 are desired with the number of athletes going) are requested to submit their indication of interest to Fred Coleman.
- A coach will be selected by the US Junior Committee. There will be at least one assistant coach. Players own individual coaches are not specifically granted coaching privileges for this event.