The U.S. Paralympics Cycling Classification Policies & Procedures fall under the U.S. Paralympics national classification strategy. General documents that are applicable for all sports may be found here. The USA Classification Policies and Procedures – Cycling cover sport-specific classification information including classifier prerequisites, current classifiers and their authorization levels, classification panel composition for the sport, and any sport criteria for athletes who present for classification assessment.
Classification is a physical examination by a three personal panel, to assess physical ability and ensure athletes are competing in the appropriate class against athletes with similar levels of ability. Athletes may be classified at the U.S. Para Cycling Road Nationals Championships each year. This is the primary domestic opportunity for classification. Additionally, athletes may be classified at any event on the UCI Para Cycling Calendar.
If an athlete wishes to be classified at an event, this will need to be arranged at the time of entry submittal.
The U.S. Paralympics Cycling national classification list includes all athletes in the respective sport whose classification information is on file with either the IPC (International Paralympic Committee) and/or the respective sport IF and/or U.S. Paralympics (the National Paralympic Committee in the USA). Athletes who have been nationally or internationally classified as per the Code and/or the U.S. Paralympics Classification Policies and Procedures are automatically included in this database. Information will be updated regularly and historical research to compile accurate athlete classification data is still ongoing.
- Classification policies and procedures
- Classification database
- National Classification Screening Form
Physical Impairment (PI) National Classification Opportunities for 2015 (C1-5, H1-5, T1-2)
- May 10, 2015 - U.S. Paralympics Cycling Time Trial at USA Cycling's Collegiate Championships, Asheville, North Carolina. Classification will be offered on May 9th. Please email Erin Popovich at Erin.Popovich@usoc.org to request an appointment. Location of classification: TBD
- May 23-25, 2015 U.S. Paralympics Cycling National Road Championships, Chattanooga, Tennessee. Classification will be May 22nd. Please email Erin Popovich at Erin.Popovich@usoc.org to request an appointment. Location of classification: TBD
Visual Impairment (VI) National Classification
- Athletes with visual impairments may obtain a national classification throughout the year. To obtain a National VI classification, athletes must have their Ophthalmologist fill out the forms in the link below and return to Sherrice Fox 4 weeks prior to the competition they intent to compete at. Once the forms are received by Sherrice, they are reviewed by a VI Classifier. They will inform Sherrice of the classification outcome and Sherrice will notify the athlete. The classifiers may require additional tests or information which may delay the outcome. VI athletes must complete this process and be listed in the Classification Database to compete in the Tandem events.
- Guide to fill out National Visual Impairment Classification forms
- National VI Classification forms - Submit to Sherrice.Fox@usoc.org when completed