2013 U.S. Paralympics Cycling National Team namedMuffy Davis, who won three gold medals at the London 2012 Paralympic Games in road cycling, is among the 11 athletes named to the 2013 U.S. Paralympics Cycling National A Team.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — U.S. Paralympics, a division of the United States Olympic Committee, announced today that 11 athletes, including six gold medalists from the London 2012 Paralympic Games, have been named to the 2013 U.S. Paralympics Cycling National A Team. An additional 32 athletes and pilots have been named to the National B Team.
“Our cyclists had unprecedented success in London, winning more medals at the Paralympic Games than the program ever has before,” said Craig Griffin, high performance director for U.S. Paralympics Cycling. “For the 2013 season, every member of our London team is returning to competition, which is very exciting. It gives us a great foundation to build on as we look toward greater success over the next four years.”
Team USA won 17 medals in cycling at the London 2012 Paralympic Games, marking the most successful Games appearance ever for the United States in that sport. Ten athletes combined for 12 medals in road cycling, tying Germany for the most medals in that discipline, and the team added five medals in track cycling.
Joe Berenyi (Aurora, Ill.), Muffy Davis (Sun Valley, Idaho), Megan Fisher (Missoula, Mont.) and Allison Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) all won individual gold medals. Davis also joined with Oscar Sanchez (San Diego, Calif.) and Matthew Updike (Denver, Colo.) for gold in the mixed H 1-4 team relay.
The 2013 para-cycling season starts April 20-22 in Greenville, S.C., with the Para-cycling Open while the season ending 2013 International Cycling Union Road World Championships are slated for Aug. 29-Sept. 1 in Baie-Comeau, Canada. Other events include the Para-cycling Road World Cups, June 14-16 in Segovia, Spain, and August 23-25 in Mantane, Canada.
Additional athletes may be added to the National A or B Teams throughout the season.
Rosters for the 2013 U.S. Paralympic Cycling National Teams
Name (Hometown/Current residence)
National A Team
- Monica Bascio (Evergreen, Colo.)
- Joe Berenyi (Aurora, Ill.)
- Kelly Crowley (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Muffy Davis (Sun Valley, Idaho/Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Megan Fisher (Missoula, Mont.)
- Allison Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Sam Kavanagh (Coram, Mont./Lakewood, Colo.)
- Greta Neimanas (Chicago, Ill./Asheville, N.C.)
- Oscar Sanchez (Los Angeles, Calif./San Diego, Calif.)
- Jennifer Schuble (Houston, Texas/Homewood, Ala.)
- Matt Updike (Denver, Colo.)
National B Team
- Matt Bigos (Cardiff by the Sea, Calif.)
- Will Chesebro (Goleta, Calif.)
- Patty Collins (Hackettstown, NJ/ Alexandria, Va.)
- Jonathan Copsey (Carmel Valley, Calif./Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Alicia Dana (Putney, Vt.)
- Mike Farrell (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Mark Gyulafia (Overland Park, Kan.)
- Anjii Hanson (Salt Lake City, Utah/Davis, Calif.)
- Vince Juarez (San Jose, Calif./Morgan Hill, Calif.)
- Aaron Keith (Sterling Va./Woodinville Wash.)
- Jason Kimball (Corning, Calif./Spring Lake, N.C.)
- Will Lachenauer (Reno, Nev.)
- Jeff (Scott) Martin (Oceanside, Calif.)
- Cassie Mitchell (Warner, Okla./Atlanta, Ga.)
- Shawn Morelli (Meadville, Pa.)
- Steven Peace (Albion, Mich./San Diego, Calif.)
- Anthony Pedeferi (Camarillo, Calif.)
- Dane Pilon (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Clark Rachfal (Annapolis, Md.)
- Dave Swanson (Tucson, Ariz.), pilot
- Laura Sobchik (Santa Monica, Calif.)
- David Randall (Ontario, Ohio)
- Rachael Scdoris (Bend, Ore.)
- Lisa Turnbull (Springfield, Ore.), pilot
- Doug Schneebeck (Albuquerque, N.M.)
- Aaron Trent (Greenville, S.C.)
- Jamie Whitmore (Sacramento, Cali./Somerset, Cali.)
- Karissa Whitsell (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Debbie Milne (Tupelo, Miss.), pilot
- Mackenzie Woodring (Belmont, Mich.)
- Kara Vatthauer (Tucson, Ariz.), pilot
- Anthony Zahn (Riverside, Calif./Mill Valley, Calif.)
For more information, please contact Jamie Blanchard, U.S. Paralympics, at 719-866-2068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.