Martinez, Jordan, Wheeler shine on final day of Can-Am Para-Swimming Championships
Kayla Wheeler, shown swimming at the 2011 Parapan American Games, set an American record in the 200m freestyle (S2) on Sunday.
EDMONTON, Canada – On the third and final day of competition at the 2013 Can-Am Para-Swimming Championships, Letticia Martinez (Las Cruces, N.M), Cortney Jordan (Henderson, Nev.) and Kayla Wheeler (Lynnwood, Wash.) were in record-breaking form.
Martinez had the standout swim of the day, as she raced to both an American and Pan-American record in the 100-meter butterfly (S11). Her time of 1:24.63 also met the U.S. Paralympics National A Team standard.
Jordan, an eight-time Paralympic medalist, set a Pan-American record in the 50m backstroke (S7) with a time of 40.83. Jordan also took first in the 400m freestyle in 5:31.26. Earlier this weekend, Jordan set an American record in the 200m butterfly, a Pan-American record in the 200m backstroke and a world record in the 1500m freestyle.
Wheeler, who set a world record on Friday in the 50m butterfly, swam to an American record in the 200m freestyle (S2) on Sunday with a time of 6:14.28.
In total, Team USA athletes earned thirteen American, Pan-American or world records throughout the weekend.
Team USA athletes winning Can-Am titles
- Haley Beranbaum, women’s S5 100m butterfly, 2:00.82
- McKenzie Coan, women’s S8 50m backstroke, 40.71
- Cailin Currie, women’s S13 400m freestyle, 5:15.87
- Cailin Currie, women’s S13 100m butterfly, 1:19.49
- Laura Dennison, women’s S6 50m backstroke, 1:10.35
- Tharon Drake, men’s S11 400m freestyle, 4:59.31
- Anna Eames, women’s S10 100m butterfly, 1:15.42
- Anna Eames, women’s S10 50m backstroke, 40.23
- Robert Griswold, men’s S9 400m freestyle, 4:45.63
- Lindsay Grogan, women’s S9 400m freestyle, 5:20.11
- Cortney Jordan, women’s S7 400m freestyle, 5:31.26
- Cortney Jordan, women’s S7 50m backstroke, 40.83
- Jessica Long, women’s S8 400m freestyle, 4:48.48
- Jessica Long, women’s S8 100m butterfly, 1:14.03
- Letticia Martinez, women’s S11 50m backstroke, 45.48
- Letticia Martinez, women’s S11 100m butterfly, 1:26.02
- Ian Silverman, men’s S10 400m freestyle, 4:13.14
- Kayla Wheeler, women’s S2 200m freestyle, 6:14.28
- Justin Zook, men’s S10 50m backstroke, 29.41