Rookies and veterans shine on second day of Can-Am Para-Swimming Championships
EDMONTON, Alberta – Both rookies and veteran athletes alike swam to record-breaking performances on Saturday during the second day of competition at the 2013 Can-Am Para-Swimming Championships in Edmonton, Alberta.
Eight-time Paralympic medalist Cortney Jordan continued her record streak after setting the world record in the 1500m yesterday. Jordan returned to the pool to set the American record in the women’s S7 200m butterfly in 3:01.21. Jordan also picked up the title in the 50m freestyle in 34.23.
Rookie Duncan Moss made a name for himself as he set the American record twice in the men’s S14 100m backstroke. In the morning’s prelim session, Moss swam to a time of 1:21.60, and in the finals he dropped his time to 1:20.36. Moss, who is in his first year of competition, faced a tough field of Canadian swimmers who swept five of the top-six spots. Moss’s time earned him a seventh-place finish.
Other notable swims were turned in by 16-year-old Robert Griswold who picked up two more titles. After winning the 200m backstroke on Friday, Griswold faced competitive fields in the men’s S9 class to take top honors in the 200m individual medley relay and the 100m backstroke.Team USA athletes winning Can-Am titles
- Haley Beranbaum, women’s S5 200m IM, 4:19.05
- Tharon Drake, men’s S11 50m freestyle, 29.22
- Alyssa Gialamas, women’s S5 50m freestyle, 47.22
- Alyssa Gialamas, women’s S5 100m backstroke, 1:52.20
- Robert Griswold, men’s S9 200m IM, 2:38.56
- Robert Griswold, men’s 100m backstroke, 1:08.68
- Cortney Jordan, women’s S7 200m butterfly, 3:01.21
- Cortney Jordan, women’s S7 50m freestyle, 34.23
- Curtis Lovejoy, men’s S2 50m freestyle, 1:18.74
- Curtis Lovejoy, men’s S2 150m IM, 4:43.69
- Curtis Lovejoy, men’s S2 50m breaststroke, 1:52.26
- Duncan Moss, men’s S14 100m backstroke, 1:20.36
- Letticia Martinez, women’s S11 50m freestyle, 32.93
- Letticia Martinez, women’s S11 200m IM, 3:11.70
- Letticia Martinez, women’s S11 100m backstroke, 1:34.07
- Martha Ruether, women’s S13 50m freestyle, 29.76
- Lizzy Smith, women’s S9 100m backstroke, 1:17.28
- Breanna Sprenger, women’s S1 50m freestyle, 2:24.72
- Breanna Sprenger, women’s S1 100m backstroke, 4:52.79
- Stephanie Vrettakos, women’s S6 200m IM, 5:18.77
- Stephanie Vrettakos, women’s S6 50m breaststroke, 1:14.92
- Kayla Wheeler, women’s S2 50m freestyle, 1:25.94
- Kayla Wheeler, women’s 50m breaststroke, 2:19.23
- Colleen Young, women’s S13 200m IM, 2:43.74
- Colleen Young, women’s S13 100m backstroke, 1:20.54
The 2013 Can-Am Para Swimming Championships run through Sunday, Dec. 17 and feature more than 100 athletes from five countries. Live results are available at Swimming.ca.
More Stories ›