New opportunities to compete through 2012 Paralympic Sport Regional Competition Program
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – U.S. Paralympics, a division of the U.S. Olympic Committee, today announced that seven regional competitions will be taking place this spring to offer increased competitive sport opportunities for disabled veterans and disabled members of the Armed Forces.
The seven regional competitions, which are partially funded through support from Veterans Affairs, will take place across the country spanning from April through June. Each competition features a mix of sports ranging from archery, cycling, powerlifting, rowing, shooting, swimming,
table tennis and track & field.
Below is a listing of the regional competitions, dates and event websites for more information.
- Texas Regional Games, San Antonio, Texas – April 20-22 www.sanantoniosports.org
- Dixie Games, Tampa, Florida – May 11-13 www.dixiegames.com
- Tri State Games, Jersey City, New Jersey – May 18-20 www.tswaa.com
- Gateway Games, St. Louis, Missouri – May 18-20 www.dasasports.org
- Desert Challenge, Mesa, Arizona – May 18-20 www.desertchallengegames.com
- Endeavor Games, Edmond, Oklahoma – June 7-10 www.ucoendeavorgames.com
- Great Lakes Games, Lake Forest, Illinois – June 15-17 www.glasa.org
Research has shown that regular participation in physical activity has a positive effect on the rehabilitation process, self-esteem, education, employment and overall health.
For more information, please contact Beth Bourgeois, U.S. Paralympics, at 719-866-2039 or firstname.lastname@example.org.