If you're looking for additional materials, below is a list of suggested readings tailored specifically to help men, women, families and athletes in abusive situations.
For survivors of sexual abuse
- “Beginning to Heal: A First Book for Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse,” by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
- “The Right to Innocence: Healing the Trauma of Childhood Sexual Abuse,” by Beverly Engel
- “Outgrowing the Pain – A Book about Adults Abused as Children,” by Eliana Gil
- “Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt as Children,” by Nancy Napier
- “Incest and Sexuality: A Guide to Understanding and Healing,” by Wendy Maltz and Beverly Holman (contributor)
- “The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse,” by Wendy Martz and Carol Arian
- “Healing the Child Within,” by Charles L. Whitfielsd, M.D.
- “8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies for Reclaiming Your Life,” by Babette Rothschild
- “The Body Remembers: the Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment,” by Babette Rothschild
- “The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse,” by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis (audio book also available)
- “I Never Told Anyone: Writings by Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse,” by Ellen Bass and Louise Thornton
- “Secret Survivors: Uncovering Incest and its After Effects in Women,” by E. Sue Blume
- “The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman’s Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships,” by Harriet Goldhor Lerner
- “Beyond Betrayal: Taking Charge of Your Life after Boyhood Sexual Abuse,” by Richard B. Gartner, Ph.D.
- “Victims no Longer: the Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse,” by Mike Lew
- “Families in Recovery: Working Together to Heal the Damage of Childhood Sexual Abuse,” by Beverly Engel
For the athlete
- “Partners in Recovery: How Mates, Lovers and Other Prosurvivors can Learn to Support and Cope with Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse,” by Beverly Engel
- “Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love was Sexually Abused as a Child,” by Laura Davis
If you feel like you’re alone as an athlete who has survived sexual abuse in sport: you’re not. Below are some suggested readings about athletes who have survived child sexual abuse.
- “The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring,” by Sugar Ray Leonard with Michael Arkush
- “Out of Bounds: Coming out of Sexual Abuse, Addiction, and My Life of Lies in the NFL Closet,” by Roy Simmons & Damon DiMarco
- “Why I Didn’t Say Anything,” by Sheldon Kennedy & James Grai