HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - Adam Krikorian, Head Coach for the U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team, today announced the 13 athletes that will compete at the 2012 Olympic Games this summer in London, England at a press conference at the LA84 Foundation in Los Angeles, CA. Featuring seven returners from the 2008 team that won the Silver Medal, and eight athletes overall with Olympic Games experience, the team clinched a berth to the 2012 Olympic Games by winning Gold at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Led by Team Captain Brenda Villa (Commerce, CA/Stanford/Olympic Club) the U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team is one of the most successful programs in international water polo history over the last twelve years. The only nation to win an Olympic Medal at every Olympic Games offering women's water polo, a tally that includes two Silver Medals (2000 and 2008) and a Bronze (2004), the program has also won three World Championships and one World Cup title during that span.
Villa is joined on the team by Heather Petri (Orinda, CA/California/NYAC); both will be the first U.S. women to compete in four Olympic Games in water polo.
2012 U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team (Hometown/College/Club)
1. Betsey Armstrong - Goalkeeper (Ann Arbor, MI/Michigan/NYAC)*
2. Heather Petri - Attacker (Orinda, CA/California/NYAC)#%*
3. Melissa Seidemann - Defender (Walnut Creek, CA/Stanford/Stanford)
4. Brenda Villa - Attacker (Commerce, CA/Stanford/Olympic Club)#%*
5. Lauren Wenger - All-Around (Long Beach, CA/USC/NYAC)*
6. Maggie Steffens - Defender (Danville, CA/Stanford/Diablo)
7. Courtney Mathewson - Attacker (Anaheim Hills, CA/UCLA/NYAC)
8. Jessica Steffens - Defender (Danville, CA/Stanford/NYAC)*
9. Elsie Windes - Defender (Portland, OR/California/Tualatin Hills WP)*
10. Kelly Rulon - Attacker (San Diego, CA/UCLA/NYAC)%
11. Annika Dries - Center (Laguna Beach, CA/Stanford/SET)
12. Kami Craig - Center (Santa Barbara, CA/USC/Santa Barbara WPF)*
13. Tumua Anae - Goalkeeper (Newport Beach, CA/USC/SOCAL)
The U.S. Olympic Women's Water Polo Team will open competition at the 2012 Olympic Games against Hungary on July 30. That is followed by a match against Spain on August 1, and China on August 3, to close out preliminary play in Group A. The quarterfinals are set for August 5, followed by the semifinals on August 7, and the medal round on August 9.
For more information on the team, including individual bio information visit USAWaterPolo.org.
About USA Water Polo
USA Water Polo, Inc. is the national governing body for water polo in America, overseeing our United States Olympic program as well as 20 different championship events annually, such as Junior Olympics and Masters National Championships. With more than 40,000 members, USAWP is also the sanctioning authority for more than 500 Member Clubs and more than 400 tournaments nationwide. USAWP is committed to the development of the sport nationwide. It fosters grass-roots expansion of the sport, providing a national system of affiliated clubs, certified coaches and officials.
Official USA Water Polo Sponsors & Suppliers
24 Hour Fitness, Active Media, American Pistachios, Aquahydrate, Athleta, Bare Fruit Snacks, Beachside Produce, Big Fish Payroll Services, Capital One, Colorado Time Systems, Deckside Pools, H2O Audio, Intercontinental Hotels Group, iSport, Jamba Juice, Jostens, Kaenon, Katin USA, KT Tape, Ludus Tours, Malibu Wellness, Mikasa, Napa Smith Brewery, Nestlé Nesquik, Ospraie Management, PowerBar, Pro-form Mouthguards, REUSE Jeans, Sea Air Federal Credit Union, Special Event Contractors, Squar Milner, Stemilt, SwimOutlet.com, TRX, TURBO, United, U.S.Navy SEALs, VIDA Organic Life Massage & Water Marque.