COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) Board of Directors met Tuesday afternoon and voted without objection to adopt a series of revisions to the USOC Bylaws. Among the key revisions adopted by the Board of Directors are:
- The creation of a non-voting, non-Board member position for the Immediate Past Chairperson of the organization, who will serve as President in an honorary capacity. The appointment is subject to the determination of the Board of Directors and will last for two years, allowing for smoother transitions in USOC leadership.
- The USOC Vice President, International position is now titled USOC First Vice President, International. The individual selected for the position must be a member of the USOC Board of Directors. Once the individual's Board term expires, he or she may remain in the position for two additional years at the Board of Directors' discretion. If an individual remains in the position past the expiration of his or her term, the individual will continue in an officer role, but will not be a member of the Board of Directors, and thus, will have no voting authority.
- U.S. members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) are now eligible to be selected as Chairperson of the USOC Board of Directors.
- A privilege for the USOC Athlete Ombudsman was created to ensure that individual's confidentiality is protected and the Athlete Ombudsman cannot be compelled to testify or provide evidence in a court of law.
- U.S. Games Trials events were further defined to include events at which athletes can earn an automatic nomination to an Olympic, Paralympic or Pan American Games Team by participating in the event.
Public notice of the proposed Bylaw revisions was first provided on March 14 with the initial public comment period of 60 days. At the May 14 USOC Board of Directors Meeting, the Board voted to further extend the comment period through June 25. The approved Bylaw changes will be posted on the USOC's website, www.teamusa.org within seven business days.
The next meeting of the USOC Board of Directors will take place Oct. 12 in Orlando, Fla., during the 2008 U.S. Olympic Assembly. The dates for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Assembly are Oct. 10-12.
For more information, please contact the USOC Communications Division at (719) 866-4529.