Going for Gold--Henry Cejudo--Final_1
EVENT - WRESTLING
- Beijing 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist
- 2007 Pan American Games champion
- 2007 U.S. World Team Trials champion
- Second in 2006 Junior World Championships
- Second in 2006 U.S. World Team Trials
- Two-time U.S. Nationals champion (2006-07)
- Fifth in 2005 Junior World Championships
- Four-time state high school champion
- 2006 ASICS National High School Wrestler of the Year
- First high-schooler to win U.S. Nationals since USA Wrestling became the sport's national governing body in 1983
- 2008: Second in U.S. Nationals... Pan American Championships gold medalist... 2008 Olympic Games gold medalist in 55kg freestyle division
- 2007: DNP in World Championships... Pan American Games gold medalist... U.S. World Team Trials champion... Pan American Championships gold medalist... U.S. Nationals champion... Fifth in Kiev International... Second in Takhti Cup (Iran)... Third in Ivan Yarygin International (Russia)...
- 2006: Second in Junior World Championships... FILA Junior World Team Trials champion... Pan American Championships gold medalist... Second in U.S. World Team Trials... U.S. Nationals champion.
- 2005: NYAC Holiday Tournament champion... Fifth in Sunkist Kids International Open... Fifth in Junior World Championships.
- High School: Four-time state champion (two in Arizona, two in Colorado)... 2006 ASICS National High School Wrestler of the Year... Two-time ASICS High School First Team member... Ranked No. 1 nationally at 125 pounds by Wrestling International Newsmagazine...
Son of Nelly Rico and Jorge Cejudo (deceased)... Older brother, Angel, also is a ranked freestyle wrestler and resident athlete... U.S. Olympic Training Center resident-athlete... Profiled in June 11, 2007 issue of Sports Illustrated... Wrote a book, America Dream,
about how his family struggled with dire economic and social concerns at every turn while their young son rose above it all to live the American dream and win an Olympic gold medal.
Colorado Springs, Colo. (Coronado)