- Communications Manager
- Development Director
- Administrator - Competition Center
- Customer Service Representative
- Winter Instructor - Credentialed (Seasonal)
- Executive Director
- Head Coach
- Communications Intern
- Chief Financial Officer
- Annual Fund Manager
- Mgr-Competition and Athlete Programs
- USAS Developer
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Coordinator
- Program Specialist
- Chief Development Officer
- USAS Developer
- Intern - Regional Athlete Scout
- National Development Coach
- Sr. Dir., Beach Operations
- Volunteer Coaches - Women's Natl. Volleyball Team
- USA Weightlifting Intern
- Coord., Video Productions
- Marketing Director
- Marketing & Development Intern
- Sports Mentor
August 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
Chicago, Illinois – Chicago Public Schools 900 Hours / 30 Hours (during school day)
Reports To Jason Eby Director of Programs
$7,000 living allowance & $2,775 Segal Education Award School-Based Mentorship AmeriCorps
The Becoming A Man – Sports Edition (BAM-Sports) sport mentoring program is a one-year service program that assigns two sports mentors to a high school in the Chicago Public Schools. Sports mentors will work under the leadership of trained counselors to support, challenge, and mentor 9th and 10th grade male youth as part of a 30-week counseling curriculum and after school sports program. Sports mentors will assist with counseling work done during the school day and prep to lead introductory sports programs in boxing and rugby (previous experience preferred, but not required).
Sports mentors work day-to-day as part of a team with the counselors leading the students’ individualized case management plans and mentors leading mentorship and sports-based social development. The mentors will bridge between counseling work and the after school sports program through values-based sports, youth mentoring, field trip planning and inter-school competitions. BAM – Sports sports mentors will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to be part of an evidence-based program that has positively impacted dozens of Chicago Public Schools.
This program requires a day-time, Monday through Thursday commitment for the full school year.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Develop and execute daily coaching plans, skills testing
• Plan and lead sports mentorship and coaching in boxing and rugby, including field trips and interschool competitions
• Plan and lead school service projects (at least 1 per school and 1 city-wide with CAA)
• Participate in weekly coordination meetings with counselor to coordinate client activities (counseling and sports) and students’ school obligations
• Assist with student recruitment and enrollment
• Assist with student case management performing mentorship to BAM students during passing periods, gym classes, lunch periods and other times when needed
• Assist with counseling activities led by BAM Counselors by being a constructive contributor
• Maintain regular communications with school teachers and staff, parents and caretakers
• Maintain regular progress notes and activity journals
• Maintain weekly data entry for attendance and brief encounters with students
• A year or more peer or youth leadership or mentoring experience
• A year or more athletic or coaching experience in any sport
• Ability to relate and connect to young men from different ethnic backgrounds and underserved communities
• Ability to develop and maintain mature, professional relationships with school teachers and staff
• Ability to communicate effectively to parents and caretakers via phone and in person
• Ability to be outgoing and willing to actively participate in group counseling sessions
• Ability to work with limited supervision as a driven, self-directed worker
• Ability to actively contribute as part of a team
• Maintain strong organizational skills
• Maintain strong written and oral communication skills
• Maintain proficiency with basic web, email, and word processing computer applications
• Associates’ degree or some college
• Six months or more volunteer or paid coaching experience
• A year or more of athlete or coaching experience in the sports of boxing or rugby
• For some placements, bi-lingual English and Spanish proficiency preferred
About World Sport Chicago and BAM-Sports
World Sport Chicago is an independent, non-profit organization that teaches positive values and leadership through sport. The organization acts on the belief that sport has the power to strengthen individuals, and in turn, Chicago’s communities. World Sport Chicago promotes programs and events and collaborates with several community partners, public agencies and Chicago’s professional sports teams to deliver impact and change.
The mission of World Sport Chicago is to promote the development of sustainable sports programming that improves the quality of life for under-served youth in Chicago and at-risk communities.
World Sport Chicago does this by:
• Teaching life-enhancing values and character development through sport,
• Leveraging on-going sport programs and events to engage families and strengthen communities,
• Directing resources and technical expertise to communities of need for high-quality and sustainable programming,
• Sharing practices and innovations to develop thought leadership on the positive impact of sport, and
• Advocating sport-for-all, regardless of physical or visual disabilities.
Becoming A Man– Sports Edition (BAM- Sports) is an evidence-based program that combines an in-school male character development curriculum with after-school sports featuring Olympic-type sports not traditionally available at inner-city Chicago Public Schools.
Under the guidance of trained clinical counselors and service member sports mentors, the young men develop social and emotional skills along six core BAM values: accountability, integrity, self-determination, positive anger expression, respect for womanhood and visionary goal setting. BAM- Sports is delivered in partnership with Youth Guidance.
About Up2Us Coach Across America
Coach Across America (CAA) is the first nationwide program to inspire young adults to commit to a year of service as Coach Mentors in underserved communities. CAA Coaches receive extensive training through Up2Us’ Center for Sports-Based Youth Development. More than 500 Coaches have provided opportunities for 75,000 youth to be active, learn skills and stay out of trouble through sports. Learn more at www.up2us.org.
Coach Across America is an intense experience and Coaches are asked to go above and beyond every day of their service term. Being a part of Coach Across America connects our Coaches both with their local communities and a larger national movement of people dedicated to service youth through sports.
In addition to site-specific duties, Coach Across America Coaches are also responsible for the following CAA program elements:
• Completing timesheets
• Creating program rosters and attendance trackers
• Administering evaluations to program participants
• Attending orientations and trainings
• Reflecting on their service in guided reflection logs; and
• Participating in a National Day of Service
Learn More and How to Apply
You can learn more about BAM-Sports and this Coach Across America Position with World Sport Chicago by visiting us at http://www.worldsportchicago.org/programs/bam-sports/ or by contacting us directly at email@example.com or by phone at 312-861-4935.
Applications will only be accepted online at http://www.worldsportchicago.org/programs/bam-sports/mentor-apply/.
All AmeriCorps CAA Coaches will receive a modest living stipend and a Segal Education Award upon successfully completing their CAA service term and requirements.
Additional reimbursement for local mileage or public transit expenses may also be available.
520 8th Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10018 212-563-3031 WWW.UP2US.ORG