Director of Equipment Operations, National Teams
Location of Job: Carson, Calif.
U.S. Soccer Overview
U.S. Soccer, a non-profit organization, is the National Governing Body for the sport of soccer in the United States. Its mission is to make soccer, in all its forms, a preeminent sport in the United States and to continue the development of soccer at all levels.
The Director of Equipment Operations will be responsible for all equipment operations for U.S. Soccer, with emphasis on those relating to the National Teams. The position demands a high level of familiarity with the sport of soccer and extensive knowledge of the products and equipment necessary to compete in the game at the highest level. The position will be responsible for ensuring the Equipment Department maintains a high-degree of professionalism, focusing on improving financial tracking, inventory control, communication and transparency. It is also expected that the person in this position will work to incorporate new ideas to increase efficiency and productivity (organizational processes, new technology, etc.). The Director of Equipment Operations will report to the Director of Youth National Teams Administration.
- Responsible for acquiring, organizing and distributing National Team Equipment, including Nike apparel and equipment, and team training and medical equipment
- Create and foster relationships with necessary vendors (Nike, Kwik Goal, sponsors, shipping providers, etc.) as well as U.S. Soccer HQ staff.
- Work closely with vendors and sponsors on team and department orders, being proactive in determining advance needs for National Teams and other U.S. Soccer services (Coaching Department, Development Academy, Scouting Staff, AGM & Special Events, etc.)
- Coordinate with sponsors on product ordering, distribution, presentation and compliance
- Guide partnership with apparel supplier to maximize U.S. Soccer's needs related to apparel trends, product launch, product positioning and sales
- Interface with coaches and HQ staff regarding their needs, and gather feedback from players and staff on the quality and use of equipment
- Responsible for planning out long-term cost projections and enforcing departmental purchasing guidelines based on cost projections and budget
- Maintain accurate inventory on equipment and supplies at the National Training Center (including Nike gear, Gatorade product, medical supplies, Kwik Goal equipment, etc.)
- Produce clear and concise reports tracking product allotment dispersal, inventory, staff schedules, shipping and financial reports, etc.
- Track and verify invoices and accounts for all purchases and freight costs, while managing expenses and finding effective ways to limit costs
- Recruit and manage per diem staff, providing direct performance feedback with regards to U.S. Soccer equipment objectives
- Independently manage the day-to-day operation of the equipment room, storage room and locker rooms
- Maintain proactive communication and positive relationships with National Team administrative and coaching personnel
- Serve as main emergency contact on a 24/7 basis for any shipping or critical needs that arise for traveling teams, staff, etc.
- Provide efficient and effective leadership for full-time staff in a positive, productive and safe work environment
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing equipment and inventory, preferably in professional sports or university athletics
- Experience working in fast-paced, demanding, team-oriented environments
- Ability to handle heavy boxes weighing upwards to 100 lbs. required
- Ability to prioritize and manage a number of different projects simultaneously
- Management experience, combined with an understanding of international travel environments
- Effective and strong communication and organizational skills
- General knowledge of soccer required
- Full-time position, minimum 40 hour work week
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Extensive travel required
Application Process: Submit letter of application, current resume and list of references by mail or email to:
18400 Avalon Blvd., Suite 400
Carson, CA 90746