Virginia G. Piper Sports & Fitness Center for Persons with Disabilities
Recreation Therapy Coordinator
$34,000 - $38,000
Health/Dental benefits, 403(b) retirement plan and paid time off included.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Start date could be as soon as Monday, September 9th, 2013.
Email cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference “Recreation Therapy Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
The Recreation Therapy Coordinator is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. This position is responsible for planning, implementing, and supervising recreation therapy programs for SpoFit members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan, implement, and evaluate various therapeutic recreation, adaptive aquatic and adaptive sports programs. This position serves as the lead staff member for all recreation therapy programs, events and activities.
• Hire, supervise, schedule and evaluate RT staff, interns and volunteers.
• Maintain ongoing communication with University Therapeutic Recreation programs around the nation to develop and maintain intern program.
• Collaborate with community organizations to offer a variety of recreation therapy programs.
• Provide member assessments, ongoing progress notes, and evaluations.
• Assist in facility and equipment maintenance.
• Assist with registration of participants; maintain related records.
• Maintain communication with members, members’ parents and/or guardians.
• Assist with grant research and writing as needed.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Work schedule requires a great deal of flexibility and is dependent upon program needs and will include some evenings and weekends.
Please only apply if you can fulfill the time requirements.
Supervision is exercised over RT staff, interns and volunteers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of Recreation Therapy principles, theories and techniques. Advanced knowledge of adaptive equipment in fitness, sports and recreation programs. Knowledge of recreation program risk management. Excellent public relations and customer service skills; verbal and written communication skills; planning, organizational, supervision, and problem solving skills. Ability to use independent judgment and initiative. Basic computer skills, including word processing. Exceptional ability to work cooperatively with others and create a positive, constructive relationship with staff and SpoFit members.
Bachelor’s Degree in Therapeutic Recreation and one year of progressive work experience in program leadership and supervision of therapeutic recreation programs, including working with individuals that have a wide variety of abilities; or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the above-described duties. At least one year of CTRS certification required and adaptive aquatic experience a plus.
Applicant must have at least one year of experience working with people with disabilities.
Must have current First Aid and CPR certification.
Clean criminal background required.
Pressures and stress of the position include dealing with crisis situations, meeting deadlines and supporting a wide variety of participant and staff needs. High level of responsibility, including supervision of RT staff, volunteers and interns.
ABIL is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and sustaining a work environment that is inclusive. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Visit our web site at www.spofit.org.