Adaptive Sports Specialist
About Northeast Passage:
For 25 years, Northeast Passage has been a nationally recognized leader in the field of therapeutic recreation. As a non-‐profit affiliated with the University of New Hampshire-‐50 miles north of Boston-‐we specialize in providing innovative solutions for individuals with disabilities including children, adults and our nation’s military personnel.
If interested in applying, please send resume, cover letter
and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 23, 2014.
Salary: $37,000 to $42,000, non-‐benefit position
40-‐hours a week working a variable schedule, primarily Wednesday-‐Saturday (10-‐hour days).
Anticipated start date: August 4, 2014
Function of Job:
Under administrative direction of Program Director, plan and implement adaptive sports programs, and related services for individuals with disabilities in a variety of settings, such as community facilities, hospitals, and schools.
- Assist Athletic Director with oversight of competitive programs
- Sled Hockey, Quad Rugby, Power Soccer.
- Organize and develop fundraising demonstrations and exhibitions.
- Respond to day-‐to-‐day program inquiries.
- Assist with overall management of program coaches and resources.
- Heaviest responsibilities will be September to May
- Coach and maintain power soccer program.
- Maintain athlete, parent and volunteer relationships.
- Schedule and plan for practices and competitions for both fall (September-December) and spring (February-‐May) seasons including reserving facilities, coordinating with other teams, coordinating travel, volunteers and referees.
- Create quality practice plan for each week.
- Complete program usage statistics after every practice.
- Assist with grassroots fundraising and collecting team dues.
- Maintain and repair equipment as needed.
- Assist with athlete recruitment and marketing.
- Facilitate strategic growth of program.
- Oversee UNH student athletes
- Manage student strength and conditioning training
- Oversee student athlete academic accountability
- Serve as liaison between the field house staff and Northeast Passage
Recreational & Contracted Sports
- Assist with all recreational and contracted sports provided including court sports, cycling, golf, paddling, water skiing and shooting sports.
- Assist with scheduling, planning, staffing, marketing.
- Conduct site evaluations.
- Assist with event registration.
- Complete post-‐event usage statistics.
- Identify, develop and execute new contracts.
- Assist with managing and maintaining current contracts
- Assist with equipment maintenance and repair as needed.
- Assist with office visits with clients and adaptive equipment rentals.
- Heaviest responsibilities May-September
- Conduct presentations and represent Northeast Passage at industry conferences as needed.
- Assist other Northeast Passage staff as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Therapeutic Recreation or related field
- 1-‐3 years of professional experience.
- Coaching experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong professional and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Clean background check
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Background in adaptive sports
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously or in a team setting as required
- Strong initiative
- Creative problem solver
- Knowledge of Power Soccer
- Public speaking experience