Northwest Association for Blind Athletes
Director of Programs
The Northwest Association for Blind Athletes provides life-changing opportunities through sports and physical activity to individuals who are blind and visually impaired. To learn more about the organization, please visit www.nwaba.org.
Reporting the Executive Director, the full-time Director of Programs will be responsible for all aspects of Northwest Association for Blind Athletes’ five growing programs across Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. This position requires approximately 50% travel across the organization’s service area.
- Develop, implement and monitor strict budgets for each of the organization’s programs.
- Develop, implement and manage the annual program plan to sustain current programs while planning for short and long-term growth.
- Support and supervise program staff (full-time, part-time or temporary employees and/or volunteers)
- Actively participate in strategic planning with the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Manage all aspects of program events and operations throughout the region including: promotion, staffing, planning, logistics and evaluation.
- Act as designated staff representative at program events.
- Deliver programs directly to individuals who are blind and visually impaired. Provide instruction in sports and recreational activities such as: Goalball (sport for individuals who are blind), tandem cycling, hiking, paddling and skiing.
- Facilitate data collection from participants and partner agencies to determine program effectiveness.
- Travel extensively to program events across the region.
- Drive the organization’s vehicle(s) to support the delivery of programs.
- In tandem with other staff, assist Sports Teams Programs and individual athletes with fundraising initiatives.
- Develop, implement and enforce program policies and procedures.
- In tandem with other staff, manage and recruit program volunteers.
- Provide excellent customer services to athletes, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other agencies that service individuals who are blind and/or visually impaired to enhance and expand programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in education, adaptive recreation or commensurate experience.
- 3+ years’ experience as a TVI, O&M Specialist, blind rehabilitation specialist, adaptive recreation
- specialist, or adaptive PE teacher.
- 2+ years’ experience working with Individuals with who are blind and visually impaired. Prior
- experience working with individuals with other disabilities a plus.
- Ability to travel approximately 50% of time throughout our service area (WA, OR, ID and MT).
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40lbs on a regular basis.
- Outstanding public relations and interpersonal communication skills.
- Prior experience with public speaking.
- Previous experience in coordinating team sporting events preferred.
- Proven success in contributing to expansion and growth initiatives within an organization.
- Possess a valid state-issued driver’s license.
- Ability to pass a background check, including MVR.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
- Competitive benefits package: Medical and dental, 403(b) savings plan, PTO and flexible scheduling opportunities.
- Salary (Exempt)
Please send a cover letter, three references, and your resume to: DP@tjandassociates.com by May 23rd, 2014.
The cover letter should include the following:
- Explain why you are a good fit for this position; in particular, what sets you apart from other candidates? How would you make a difference in the Director of Programs role?
- Explain why you are interested in working with Northwest Association for Blind Athletes?
- Provide past salary history.