National Sports Center for the Disabled
Therapeutic Sports and Recreation – All ages, all disabilities
Instructor – Winter Non Credentialed
Location: Winter Park Resort, Winter Park, CO
Reports To: Program Manager
Fair Labor Standards Act: Non-Exempt
About the NSCD:
The NSCD is one of the largest outdoor therapeutic recreation agencies in the world. Each year more than 3,000 children and adults with disabilities participate in our programs to learn more about sports and themselves. With specially trained staff, a custom adaptive equipment lab, and over 800 volunteers, the NSCD teaches lessons in a variety of winter and summer sports and activities to individuals with almost any physical, cognitive, emotional or behavioral diagnosis. Year round programming is based out of Winter Park Resort and Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Teaches skiing and/or snowboarding to individuals with disabilities. Assist with weekly, special, and sit ski programs. May teach instructor and volunteer training clinics.
- Performs student assessments and determines adaptive equipment and modifications.
- Selects appropriate teaching system and sets goals and plans lesson according to therapeutic recreation concepts.
- Instructs individual or group lessons using appropriate teaching progressions and exercises.
- Documents student progress, maintains accurate records and makes recommendations for future lessons.
- Assists with coordination and operation of weekly programs.
- Participates in mentorship program for instructors and volunteers.
- Attends NSCD training sessions.
- Assists with NSCD volunteer and special events.
- Actively participates with NSCD fundraising efforts.
- Follows consistently safety procedures and utilizes appropriate safety equipment.
- Creates and maintains a friendly, congenial and helpful attitude while effectively dealing with guests and other employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum Level 7 skiing ability.
- Minimum one year experience working with individuals with disabilities.
- Experience teaching levels 1-5 alpine skiing or snowboarding.
- Current Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).
- College degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Special Education, or related field
- Must be able to work a majority of the time outside at high altitude in varying conditions including uneven and slick terrain, and unpredictable winter weather and situations. Must be physically able to assist participants with ski or adaptive equipment, position adjustments, transfers and movement during activities.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. with assistance.
- Must have dexterity to operate computer daily.
- Must have auditory and visual acuity to operate computers and phones or mobile devices.
- Must have auditory and visual acuity to interact with guests, participants and staff on a daily basis.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple, high priority tasks in a fast-paced and often times crowded and noisy environment.
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license and meet criteria to drive company vehicles.
- Able to utilize snowmobiles, surface and aerial lifts
- Submit resume, application and cover letter with answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why do you want to work for the NSCD?
- What type of opportunities have you encountered with people with disabilities?
- Describe your current ski / snowboard ability.
- Tell us something about yourself that others have told you is interesting.
- An answer to a question we should have asked!
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
NSCD is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, veteran status, genetic information, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
NSCD will consider providing reasonable workplace accommodations if needed.
NCSD is committed to a drug free work place.