American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
Director of Development
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The American Association of People with Disabilities is the nation's largest disability rights organization. We promote equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation for people with disabilities. Our members, including people with disabilities and our family, friends, and supporters, represent a powerful force for change.
The Director of Development (Director) is an energetic and results-driven fundraiser and entrepreneur and plays a key role in driving AAPD’s financial and organizational growth. The
Director is expected to meet AAPD’s current operating support needs of approximately $2.0 million annually, with an expectation of increasing these revenues to $5 million over the next
three to five years.
The Director is responsible for creating revenue-generating opportunities and developing relationships that will diversify and grow AAPD’s financial standing. The Director is a strong
communicator, proven innovator, and successful fundraiser who is motivated by AAPD’s mission and the opportunity to be part of a growing and entrepreneurial organization. The Director is able to set strategic priorities and create a development plan that accounts for possible outcomes and performance benchmarks for corporate, government, foundation, and individual donors. The Director is a member of the senior leadership team.
This is a full-time position located in Washington, D.C.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a pivotal leadership role at AAPD, responsible for working closely with the President and CEO (CEO) and Executive Vice President (EVP) and the Board of Directors to develop and implement an innovative and proactive fundraising strategy as well as drive overall organizational strategy.
Specific duties include:
- Create and implement strategies to meet aggressive annual and long term fundraising goals, including the expansion of the reserve fund and the diversification of funding streams.
- Identify, initiate, nurture, and maintain close relationships with corporate partners, foundations, major donors, and donor prospects and implement targeted strategies for each opportunity.
- Create and implement a strategic plan to significantly increase AAPD’s portfolio of individual donors through active prospect research and effectively cultivate and manage a portfolio of individual donors, focusing primarily on:
- Gifts in the $10,000 to $100,000+ range
- Monthly sustainers of $100+ a month
- Communicate effectively with donors through face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings, as well as ongoing and strategic written and e-communication strategies.
- Plan, organize, and execute the fundraising and programmatic aspects of the AAPD Annual Gala.
- Develop fundraising priorities and establishing financial goals.
- Manage all event logistics and vendor relationships.
- Organize Gala Steering Committee meetings; mentor event chairs and co-chairs.
- Coordinate event program, honorees, and attendees. Oversee budget, gift fulfillment, and record keeping for the event.
- Effectively manage and track donor cultivation activities in database and provide regular progress reports to CEO, EVP, and the senior team.
- Develop, support, and utilize Senior Staff and Board of Directors in fundraising strategies.
- Manage and guide development staff to ensure that development strategies and projects are executed successfully.
- Maintain a current knowledge of relevant tax laws and their impact on charitable giving, including regular attendance at educational and professional seminars.
- Secure positive ratings on various charity rating systems including the Better Business Bureau and Charity Navigator.
- Apply for the Combined Federal Campaign on an annual basis and devise promotional campaigns to boost giving by federal employees.
- Communicate with colleagues across AAPD on fundraising objectives, requirements, and related program activities, and to ensure fulfillment of commitments.
- 5-7 years experience at the Manager or Director Level.
- Strong commitment and passion for the mission, vision, and work of AAPD and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization’s impact through successful fundraising activities.
- The VPD is instrumental in aggressively expanding AAPD’s fundraising potential, and therefore must possess high professional standards and give evidence of a success in meeting or exceeding stated goals.
- The Director is a confident, highly motivated, dynamic, and results-driven innovator, with a high degree of integrity.
- Ability to lead, excel and work as part of a senior leadership team in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, diverse, and result-oriented culture.
- Strong organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail.
- High degree of flexibility and resilience.
- Prior success working closely with and building relationships with organizational funders, high net-worth individuals, C-Suite executives, and a Board of Directors.
- Willingness to travel as necessary to fulfill role responsibilities.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All applications must include “Director of Development” in the subject line.