ABOUT THE POSITION:
American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
The American Association of People with Disabilities is the nation's largest disability rights organization. We promote equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation for people with disabilities. Our members, including people with disabilities and our family, friends, and supporters, represent a powerful force for change.
AAPD seeks an entrepreneurial, strategic, and highly skilled Communications Manager to play a key role in helping the organization achieve significant growth in both scale and impact.
AAPD is expanding its impact by organizing the disability community and our supporters into a powerful force for change. The Communications Manager will be responsible for creating opportunities and developing relationships that will enhance and grow AAPD’s brand, membership, reach, and stature. The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator and proven innovator who is motivated by AAPD’s mission and the opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial organization, and is able to set strategic priorities. This is a full-time position located in Washington, D.C.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for working closely with the President and CEO, and works with the Executive Vice President on projects as assigned, to develop and implement an innovative and proactive external engagement strategy.
Specific duties include:
- Develop and maintain AAPD’s organizational voice, messaging, and look and feel for all organizational publications (including the annual report), membership materials, media communications, programmatic and event materials, video, online presence, and other assets.
- Develop and lead AAPD media strategy, including;
- drafting of press releases, creation of media tool kits, and developing story lines,
- working with the media to facilitate positive media placement,
- manage media requests from news media in a timely fashion,
- develop and cultivate new and existing relationships with press contacts,
- coordinate press at the organization’s events, and
- create and maintain a detailed media list of AAPD’s media contacts.
- Lead and maintain the organization’s Web presence, including;
- web content requests, and frequent updates of the website’s homepage,
- coordinating web content requests from staff, website modifications and updates,
- maintain and manage AAPD’s social networking groups on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, and LinkedIn, etc., and
- maintain and manage AAPD’s video web presence on YouTube and other video websites.
- Manage the expansion of organizational email lists, including action alerts and the AAPD Disability Weekly. Develop tools and strategies to make communications more effective.
- Responsible for sending the AAPD Disability Daily, a week-day news publication on the day’s top news related to disability.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson.
- Develop and maintain department budget.
- Develop quantifiable yearly goals against which success can be measured.
- 3-5 years experience.
- Strong commitment and passion for the mission, vision, and work of AAPD and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization’s impact.
- Ability to lead, excel and work as part of an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, diverse, and result-oriented culture.
- Sophisticated communicator with excellent writing skills who is able to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and translate complex issues and statistics into easy to understand messages.
- Experience with web design and content management with proficiency in html.
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem solving skills, including track record of creating and implementing innovative solutions to meet pressing organizational needs.
- Strong organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail.
- High degree of flexibility and resilience and a proven track record of achieving results.
- Some experience building relationships with staff, partnerships, press, donors, and a Board of Directors.
- Willingness to travel as necessary to fulfill role responsibilities.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must include "Communications Manager" in the subject line.
AAPD is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.