After serving at the Naval Telecommunication Station Rota, Spain during the Gulf War, Daphne Wright returned to the United States to serve at the Naval Security Station Washington, DC as a Cryptologic Technician Operator. In April 1993 Wright was hit by a drunk driver, resulting in three compression fractures to the back, several cracks in the sternum and a tear in the frontal lobe of the brain causing traumatic brain injury (TBI). This injury was especially devastating as Wright had just reenlisted in the Navy for five more years three weeks prior to the accident. Wright received a medical discharge from in October 1994 and then had major brain surgery in 2000.
In September 2009, Wright was introduced to the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field Program during the National Veterans Summer Sports Clinic in San Diego, California. It was at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista that she was introduced to the U.S. Olympic Committee’s Paralympic Military Program.
Wright took part in her first Paralympic competition at the Virginia Military Institute in March 2010. Six months later Wright had won 12 gold medals competing in various meets in the javelin, discus and shot put events. She surprised both herself and others by doing well at the events.
Wright holds associate’s degrees in Business Administration and Speech and Drama from Middle Georgia College in Cochran, Georgia and a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Video with a minor in Theatre from Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Desert Challenge 2010 (Class 38) Javelin 1st gold; Shot put gold; Discus gold
- Set American Record at Desert Challenge 2010 for Javelin and Shot Put Class 38
- UCO Endeavor Games 2010 (Class 38) Javelin gold; Shot put gold; Discus gold
- Member of USATF Southern California
- California State Games 2010 – Masters Division 35- 39 USATF Javelin 1st gold; Shot put gold; Discus gold Qualified for State Games of America 2011 by placing 1st in 3 events in the CAL STATE GAMES 2010
- Chuck McMahon Memorial Masters Track & Field Meet, San Diego, CA - Masters Division 35- 39 USATF Javelin gold; Shot put GOLD; Discus gold
- Potomac Valley Track Club, Falls Church, Virginia – broke previously American record for Javelin for class 38 (submitted and awaiting confirmation by US Paralympic Committee)