May 30, 1984Birthplace:
San Diego, Calif. Hometown:
San Diego, Calif.Residence:
Long Beach, Calif.Education:
New York Athletic Club
INTERNATIONAL/CLUB: Found the net three times during the 2007 Holiday Cup...Scored 11 goals at 2007 Pan American Games...Tallied two scores at Super Final 2007...Delivered first goal of the match for Team USA in the gold-medal 2007 FINA World Championship game against Australia, finishing the tournament with four goals...Pivotal in 2006 FINA World League and 2006 Holiday Cup gold-medal finishes...Proved her outstanding skills as one of the world's top centers at the 2005 FINA World Championships, helping to lead Team USA to a silver medal...Scored two goals for the U.S. Team in the championship game against Hungary and four goals from center in the tournament...Co-led the team in scoring at the 2005 FINA World League Series with 12 goals...Played on championship teams at the 2003 Junior World Championships and 2002 Pan American Games...Went to Holland in 2002 as a member of the U.S. ‘B' Team.
INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION HIGHLIGHTS
2008 Olympic Games, Beijing, China, 2nd place
2007 FINA World League Super Final, Montreal, Canada, 1st Place
2007 Pan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1st Place
2007 FINA World Championships, Melbourne, Australia, 1st Place
2006 Holiday Cup, Los Alamitos, Calif., 1st Place
2006 FINA World League, Cosenza, Italy, 1st Place
2005 FINA World Championships, Montreal, Canada, 2nd Place
2003 FINA Junior World Championships, Calgary, Canada, 2nd Place
2003 Holiday Cup, Los Alamitos, Calif., 1st Place
2002 Junior Pan American Games, 1st Place
COLLEGE: Selected to the All-MPSF First Team and ACWPC All-American First Team in 2006...Scored 52 goals for USC during her senior season and concluded the year among the Trojan's top-five all-time scorers with 175 goals and helping her team to the NCAA Championship game (2nd place)...As a sophomore, became the second player in USC women's water polo history to win the Peter J. Cutino Award as the nation's top collegiate women's player...In leading the Women of Troy to the National Championship, van Norman was named as MPSF Player of the Year and earned first- team All-American and All-MPSF honors...Earned NCAA first-team All Tournament honors...Earned second team All-American and All-MPSF honors in her 2003 freshman season after leading the team in scoring with 65 goals.
HIGH SCHOOL: Earned All-American honors four times at University High in San Diego, Calif....Member of San Diego Hall of Champions...Named CIF Player of the Year and league most valuable player in her senior season.
Majored in English...Parents are James and Marsha...Has two brothers, Josh and Jordan, and a younger sister, Sarah...Her happiest moment was winning the 2007 World Championships...Her goal is to represent Team USA at the 2008 Olympic Games...Supports breast cancer research and Feed the Children/Team Darfur...Best things about water polo are the friendships and the running and swimming...Got involved with water polo by swimming first...Stays with the sport because of love for the competitiveness and physicality of the game.
- Favorite Food: Mexican
- Favorite Movie: "Dirty Dancing"
- Favorite Actor: Denzel Washington
- Favorite Actress: Julia Roberts
- Favorite Songs: "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC
- Personal Theme Song: "In Da Club" by 50 Cent
- Favorite Musicians: Boston, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Mary J. Blige
- Favorite Color: Black
- Facebook or MySpace: Neither
- Coolest Person You Know: Kyle Kopp/Guy Baker (tie)
- Best Present Ever Received: A "Hope" Rose
- Best Halloween Costume: A unicorn
- Magical Power if Available: Flying
- Famous Friend or Relative: Lauren Wenger
- Sport to Play Other Than Water Polo: Handball
- Words to Live By: "Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa a lion wakes up. It knows it must be faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you better be running." - Herb Caen