Sport: Para Cycling
Current Residence: Denver, CO
- 2012 Paralympic Games, gold (team relay), 6th (time trial), 9th (road race)
- 2008 Paralympic Games
- 2011 Silver medal, H1-4, mixed trime trial; silver, H1-4 road race; Parapan American Games, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 2011: Sixth place, Time Trial (H2) – UCI Para-cycling World Cup, Baie-Comeau, Canada
- 2011: First place, Time Trial & Road Race (H2) – U.S. Paralympics Road Cycling National Championships, Augusta, Ga.
- 2010: Fourth place, Individual Road Race (H2); seventh place, Individual Time Trial (H2) – UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships, Quebec, Canada2008: U.S. Paralympic Team member, Cycling – Beijing, China
Facts: In 2008, Matt Updike competed in his first Paralympic Games in Beijing, China. Updike, a handcyclist, has made a significant amount of progress on the road in a small amount of time. In the fall of 1997, Updike was injured in an automobile accident that left him paralyzed from the chest down. However, he immediately made his way back to skiing and cycling, his two passions prior to the accident. Updike currently works as a mortgage banker for Universal Lending Corp. in Denver, Colo. He enjoys volunteering at Craig Hospital as a peer counselor and with Adaptive Adventures helping kids get started in Paralympic cycling.
US Para Cycling
More Stories ›