Position: Outside Hitter
Weight: 170/77 Kilograms
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
Birth Date: May 25, 1981
Joined Team: January 2000
- Four-time Olympian (2000, 2004, 2008, 2012) and winner of two Olympic Games silver medals (2008, 20012)
- Best Scorer of 2008 Olympic Games with 124 points and 3.76 set scoring average after starting all 33 sets possible
- Helped U.S. earn silver medal at both 2007 and 2011 FIVB World Cup to qualify Team USA into 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. Selected one of three finalist for MVP at 2007 World Cup. Aided Team USA to bronze medal at 2003 World Cup and berth into 2004 Olympics.
- Named MVP of 2004 FIVB World Grand Prix after leading all players in scoring with 224 points in 13 matches. Also named Best Server during the event
- Youngest player ever named to U.S. Olympic Women's Volleyball Team as she made first Olympic Games roster in 2000 at age 19 prior to playing her sophomore season at Stanford University
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
2012 - FIVB World Grand Prix Preliminary Round...Olympic Games (Silver).
2011 - FIVB World Grand Prix (Gold)...NORCECA Continental Championship (Gold)...FIVB World Cup (Silver).
2010 – FIVB World Grand Prix (Gold)...FIVB World Championship (Fourth).
2008 - U.S. Olympic Team Exhibition for Volleyball versus Brazil...FIVB World Grand Prix (Fourth Place)...Olympic Games (Silver Medal).
2007 - FIVB World Cup (Bronze Medal).
2004 – World Grand Prix (Bronze Medal)...Olympic Games.
2003 – Montreux Volley Masters…Russia Tournament...Pan American Cup (Gold Medal)...World Grand Prix (Bronze Medal)...NORCECA Zone Championships (Gold Medal)...Texas Tour...World Cup (Bronze Medal).
2002 – Montreux Volley Masters…Russia Tour...Utah Tour vs. Italy…World Grand Prix (sixth place)...World Championships (Silver Medal).
2001 – Montreux Volley Masters...World Championships Qualifying (first place)...World Grand Prix (first place).
2000 – BCV Volley Masters...Brazil Trip...Grand Prix...Japan Tour...Olympic Games...Russia Trip.
1999 – Junior World Championships.
1998 – Dominican Republic Trip...Junior NORCECA World Championship Qualifier...NORCECA World Championship Qualifier.
1997 – Junior Brazil Trip...Junior Canada Tour.
Did You Know
- Made U.S. Women's National Team debut at age 16, playing in NORCECA World Championship Qualification Tournament and Dominican Republic Tour in 1998
- When she joined U.S. National Team at age 16, had nickname of 'Doogie' after the TV child prodigy doctor
- Played professional club volleyball for teams in Brazil, China, Italy, Japan, Russia, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey
- Father Melvyn played in the National Football League as a defensive end with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Chicago Bears
- Back-to-back AVCA Division I Player of the Year selection as junior and senior at Stanford University; one of five four-time AVCA All-America First-Team selections (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)
- Helped Stanford University win NCAA Division I Women's National Volleyball Championship as a junior in 2001
- 2013 Inductee into Stanford University Hall of Fame
- Played two seasons on the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour, winning AVP Rookie of the Year in 2006
- Started playing volleyball at age 13 and earned spot on the U.S. Girls' Youth National Team at age 14
- Graduated high school first in her class with a 4.0 grade-point average
- Was Gatorade National High School Volleyball Player of the Year coming out of Highland High School
The Big Blurb
"Whenever anyone asks me about the Olympics, I go back to the first one," Logan Tom said on playing in four Olympic Games. "I was very young at that stage of my life. I just turned 19, still at Stanford and everything was draw-dropping for me. There was nothing bad or negative I could say about it. We didn't finish how we would have liked to - we lost in the bronze-medal match, but it didn't matter at that point. It still brings a smile to my face." On the extensive travel she has had with the U.S. National Team and playing professionally: "It is an experience I would never replace/ Every athlete knows that you make sacrifices, and our sacrifices is being away from home. But at the same time, you gain so much as a person, learning different languages, meeting new people, experienceing different cultures. The past 10 years of my life have been amazing." (from Stanford University interview)
- Video: USA Volleyball Interview with Logan Tom
- Fox Sports Video Interview with Logan Tom
- Fan Website for Logan Tom
- Associated Press: Logan Tom Embraces Role as 'Glue' of the Team (8/4/12)
- Video: Stanford University Interview with Logan Tom (10/29/13)
- USA Today 100 Olympic Hopefuls in 100 Days: Logan Tom
- KSL.com Video: Logan Tom Unplugged and Unfiltered (8/7/12)
- Fan Highlight Video of Logan Tom (6/18/13)
- Volleyball Magazine: Tom Terrific (June 1998 Issue)
- Los Angeles Magazine: Logan Tom (7/26/2012)
- Sports Illustrated: A Spike in Activity (12/24/2001)
- NBC Olympics: Speaking with Logan Tom (Summer 2008)
- No public social media
Last Updated: March 28, 2014
U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team Weekly Update for Oct. 29
Bill Kauffman Oct. 29, 2012
CEV Champions League dotted with American participation
U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team Weekly Update for Oct. 22
Bill Kauffman Oct. 22, 2012
A look around the world how the U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team players are doing
USA’s Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympics
Bill Kauffman Aug. 11, 2012
Hooker honored in first Olympics
"Extraordinary" Tournament Ends in Volleyball Silver
Vicki Michaelis Aug. 11, 2012
Team USA earned its fourth ever women’s volleyball medal in golden effort
US Women Take Silver After Tough Loss To Brazil
Bill Kauffman Aug. 11, 2012
The top-ranked U.S. Olympic Women’s Volleyball Team fell one victory shy of winning its first-ever Olympic Games gold-medal for the second quadrennial in a row in a 11-25, 25-17, 25-20, 25-17 loss to No. 2 Brazil Saturday in the title match at Earls Court in London.
U.S. Women's Olympic Games Gold Medal Match Preview
Aug. 10, 2012
The U.S. Women are one win shy of answering the dream
U.S. Women To Compete for Gold
Bill Kauffman Aug. 09, 2012
The U.S. Olympic Women's Volleyball Team defeated Korea, 25-20, 25-22, 25-22 in the semifinal match on Thursday. They advance to the gold medal match.
U.S. Women Two Wins from Olympic Gold
Aug. 08, 2012
The U.S. Women face Korea in Olympic semifinals on Thursday
U.S. Women to Olympic Semis
Bill Kauffman Aug. 07, 2012
The U.S. Olympic Women’s Volleyball Team advanced to the 2012 Olympic Games semifinal round with a 25-14, 25-21, 25-22 victory over NORCECA rival Dominican Republic.
Preview of U.S. Women versus Dominican Republic
Bill Kauffman Aug. 06, 2012
The U.S. Olympic Women’s Volleyball Team, in search of its first-ever Olympic Games gold medal, ended the preliminary round of the 2012 Olympic Games with an undefeated record and will now meet a familiar foe in NORCECA rival Dominican Republic during the quarterfinals on Tuesday at 7 p.m. local time (11 a.m. PT).
More Stories ›