Event/Discipline: Slalom Canoe, C-1
School: Stevens Point Area Senior High
Club: Upper Midwest Paddling Association
- 2011 US Senior Slalom National Team Member
- Reached semifinals at 2011 World Cup No. 4
- Placed 21st in Women's Canoe at 2011 Slalom World Championships
- Placed 22nd among Women's Canoes in final 2011 ICF World Slalom Rankings
- 2011 National Champion in Women's Canoe. Read about it HERE.
- Bronze medal at 2010 Junior World Championships
- 6th at 2010 Senior World Championships
- 1st at 2011 US Open
- 1st at 2011 US National Team Trials
- 2009 Junior Olympic Spirit Award
- 2010 US Sports Academy May Athlete of the Month
- Hobbies: singing, doing artwork, skiing, climbing, slacklining, running, backpacking
- Quote: "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." - Mark Twain
- How'd you get started? I have grown up in a paddling family - my parents first date was going over a 20 foot waterfall. So you could reasonably say paddling is in my blood. I started out on the quiet northern lakes and rivers of Wisconsin, and one year I picked up whitewater... I've never been able to stop.
- Who are you mentors? My parents, primarily, Colleen Hickey, my big buddy, and Cathy Hearn... a woman to live up to.
- Trivia: I was born in Hawaii.
- Click HERE to "like" Hailey on Facebook.
- Website: http://haileythompsonwhitewater.blogspot.com
- 1st in C-1, 1st in K-1 Juniors at 2009 US Open
- 1st in C-1 and K-1 at 2009 Junior National Team Trials
- 1st in C-1 at World Series, American Open
- 3rd in C-1, 5th in K-1 at US Senior National Championships
- 1st in Freestyle K-1 and C-1 at Junior Olympics
- 2nd in Slalom K-1 and C-1 at Junior Olympics
- Junior Olympic Overall Champion
More Stories ›