: Gastonia, N.C.
Event/Discipline: Slalom Kayak, K-1
School: Queens University
Club: Nantahala Racing Club
2013 U.S. Senior Team Member
- 2012 U.S. National Championships: 1st
- 5th at 2012 U-23 World Championships
- 2nd at 2012 US Olympic Team Trials
- GOLD at 2011 Vadja Teen Cup No. 2 (Liptovský Mikuláš, Slovakia) in U18 Men's K-1, GOLD at Teen Cup No. 3 (Solkan, Slovenia), SILVER at Teen Cup No. 4 (Tacen, Slovenia)
- Finished 1st among junior and senior men's kayaks at 2011 US Team Trials
- 3-time U.S. Junior National Champion
- 6th at 2010 U.S. Open
- 4th at 2010 Junior World Championships
- 2nd at Navey Saez Cup in Poland
- 2013 World Championships: 39th
- 2013 Final World Cup Series Rankings: 34th
- 2013 World Cup Final: 39th, SILVER in Team K1
- 2013 World Cup No. 4: 53rd
- 2013 U-23 World Championships: 18th
- 2013 World Cup No. 2: 20th
- 2013 World Cup No. 1: 14th
- 2013 U.S. Slalom Team Trials: 2nd
- 2013 US Open: 1st
- 54th at 2012 World Cup No. 3
- 27th at 2012 World Cup No. 2
- Reached semifinals at the 2012 Oceania Open - placing 24th
- Nickname: "Meesh"
- Job: works at U.S. National Whitewater Center
- Hobbies: kayaking, movies, biking
- Quote: "Winning isn't everything, but making the effort to win is."
- Getting started: My dad, Rafal Smolen, was on the Polish National Team.
- Role Model: Campbell Walsh, because he is what I call a "little beast"
- Trivia: I want to be a doctor.
- Website: http://michalsmolen.com/
- Follow Michal on Facebook and Twitter @MichalSmolen
- To learn more about Michal, watch this video feature.
Michal is a member of the US Junior National Team and a member of the Nantahala Racing Club in North Carolina. Michal has been racing slalom for over five years and has represented the United States in world-class races.
He currently lives and trains in Charlotte, NC at the US National Whitewater Center, a US Olympic Training Site. He is coached by his father, Rafal Smolen. Michal paddles a Vajda boat, Braca paddle, and uses Sandiline gear.