Sport: Paralympic Judo
Height: 5' 2"
Classification: Optic Albino (B3)
DOB: October 21, 1970
Current Residence: Wayne, NJ
- 2012 Paralympic Games
Cindy lives with her husband and two children in Wayne, New Jersey. She was first introduced to judo during her second semester in law school. Cindy returned to judo in 2006 to train toward participating in the Paralympics Games. During the past five years she has made significant strides towards that goal.
She is a member of the Kokushikai Judo Academy and trains four days per week under the watchful eyes of her coach Celita Schutz (3X’s Judo Olympian). Cindy also trains six times a week at the Wayne YMHA were she receives strength and balance instruction twice a week.
She graduated from New York University with a Jurors Doctorate Degree and Rutgers University with a Master of Arts Degree in Political Science. Dr. Simon is employed as an adjunct professor at William Paterson University and Passaic County Community County College as well as a Visiting Part-Time Professor at DeVry University Online. She also practices a little law.
Despite her busy training schedule, she still enjoys playing goalball and volunteering for local organizations.
Major Judo Awards:
- 2015 Team Member, IBSA World Games, Soul, South Korea
- 2015 Team Member, IBSA World Cup, Egan, Hungary
- 2015 Silver medalist, German Open for the Blind & Visually Impaired, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2014 Team Member, IBSA World Championships, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2012 Team Member, Paralympic Games, London, England
- 2011 Team Member , IBSA World Games, Antalya, Turkey
- 2010 & 2011 Bronze medalist, German Open for the Visually Impaired
- 2010 Team Member , IBSA World Judo Championships, Antalya, Turkey
- 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014 Gold Medalist , USA Judo National Champion for Blind & Visually Impaired
More Stories ›