Birth Date: May 12, 1996
College/Major/Grad Year: Waseca High School
- Won two gold medals in 2013 for the national team
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
2013 – ParaVolley Pan American Sitting Volleyball Zonal Championships in Edmond, Okla. (gold), Moscow Open Cup (gold)
Did You Know
- She contributed 21 points during the five games at the Colorado Crossroads Junior National Qualifier in Denver, that the qualifier was Shifflett’s first major event as a member of the team
- She has two sisters.
- Her favorite food is a Philly cheese steak sandwich, and her favorite books are The Hunger Games series.
The Big Blurb
She’s one of the youngest players on the U.S national team – “I’m the new one, I’m the baby,” she said – but that hasn’t stopped her from bonding with her more experienced teammates. “They will do anything to make you better for yourself, and they are the nicest people I’ve probably ever met,” she said. “Instantly, we became like family. I talk to them about everything now.”
“She proves that you can do anything you want and there are no limitations,” said teammate Indira Raub. “She just blows everyone out of the water.” Shifflett’s coach said she’s improved so much that she may even be able to play at the next level. But her goal for now is to play in the Paralympics in four years in Rio de Janeiro. Until then, the Waseca girls are making each other better, and there’s no doubt where Shifflett stands on this team. “We are just one big family. We love each other to death,” she said.
- WASECA Country News: Waseca's Shifflett helps U.S. women's sitting volleyball beat Canada
- Prosthetic Leg Can’t Keep Prep Athlete From Achieving
More Stories ›