EVENT - CURLING, SKIP
Teammates: Jason Smith, Jeff Isaacson, John Benton
HEIGHT 6'0" WEIGHT 195 lbs.
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games
- 2006 Olympic Winter Games - Bronze medal
- 2003 World Championships - eighth
- 2005 World Championships - sixth
- 2006 Olympic Winter Games bronze medalist
- 2006 World Championships - fourth
- 2009 World Championships - fifth (tied)
- U.S. Olympic Team Trials: 2009 (champion), 2005 (champion)
- U.S. National Championships: 2009 (champion), 2008 (6th), 2006 (champion), 2005 (champion), 2004 (runner-up), 2003 (champion)
- World Curling Championships: 2009, 2006 (4th), 2005 (6th), 2003 (8th)
- World University Games: 2007 (gold)
- World Curling Tour Players Championship: 2006 (quarterfinalist), 2005 (quarterfinalist)
- U.S. Men's Junior Nationals: 2004 (champion), 2002 (runner-up)
- Minnesota State Championships: 2003 (runner-up)
- Minnesota State Junior Championships: 2004 (champion), 2003 (runner-up), 2002 (champion)
- Minnesota State High School Curling Championships: 1999 (champion)
- John was featured in Sports Illustrated's "Faces in the Crowd" section in February 2004.
- USA Curling Team of the Year: 2006
Curls out of: Duluth (Minn.) Curling Club
Year started curling: 1997
Shuster didn't start curling until 1997, but he quickly became one of the best in the fast-rising sport in the U.S. By 1999, he was the Minnesota State High School Curling Champion. He was a 2002 U.S. Junior Championships runner-up. He reached the top in 2003 as part of the U.S. Championship-winning rink.
His hobbies include fishing, hunting, fantasy football, golf and playing and coaching softball. He also wakeboards and has three dogs.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- Featured in Sports Illustrated's "Faces in the Crowd" in February 2004
- Nicknamed "Shoostie"
- Works as a bartender in Duluth, Minn., in the winters and on the grounds crew of a golf course in the summers
- Named freestyle aerials as the other Olympic sport he would like to try
Education: University of Minnesota-Duluth
Other sports: Baseball, golf, watching any sports on TV, fishing, hunting, fantasy football, wakeboarding, "Halo 2"
Other Olympic sport he'd like to try: Freestyle aerials
Hobbies: "Hunting, fishing, wakeboarding, fantasy football and raising our three dogs."
Curling start: "My dad curls, so when I decided to hang up the basketball shoes, I needed a new winter activity. I went down to the club on Junior Night and have been hooked ever since."
Training regimen: "I curl in three leagues a week and throw 50 rocks a day, followed by a game or two of cards."
What he enjoys most about curling: "I enjoy meeting new people and making new friends, even at the highest levels of competition."
Curling family: "My dad, mom, sister and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins all participate in our holiday bonspiel [where] the Shuster family trophy is awarded."
Curling goals: "Curl in the Olympics and medal. Curl at World Championships and medal."
Favorite motivational quote: "Everything happens for a reason."
IMAGE FROM GETTY IMAGES
High Performance Program Team for upcoming season announced
Terry L. Davis May 27, 2016
45 athletes accept invitations into the HPP for 2016-17 season
USA men get into win column at 2016 World Championship in Basel
Terry L. Davis April 03, 2016
Denmark slides by USA as 2016 World Men's Championship begins in Switzerland
Terry L. Davis April 02, 2016
Why This Could Be The Year Shuster Leads Men’s Curling Back To World Podium
Stuart Lieberman April 01, 2016
The U.S. men haven’t made a world championships podium since 2007.
Team USA set to compete in 2016 World Men's Championship in Switzerland
Terry L. Davis March 30, 2016
Led by John Shuster, the U.S. team begins the round robin on Saturday in Basel
Mixed Doubles World Team Trials underway in Blaine
Terry L. Davis Feb. 26, 2016
Event to determine U.S. team for 2016 World Mixed Doubles Championship in April
Ten Years Ago, Five Down-Home Minnesotans Made History With Team USA’s Only Olympic Curling Medal
Clay Latimer Feb. 24, 2016
Team Pete Fenson beat Great Britain at the Torino 2006 Games to earn its spot in history.
Who Were The Biggest Team USA Stars On Ice This Season?
Peggy Shinn April 08, 2015
U.S. skaters and sliders won 7 world titles and claimed over 80 international podium finishes this winter.
Five For Friday: Curling
Paul D. Bowker Jan. 09, 2015
Ten berths in the 2015 USA Curling National Championships are up for grabs this weekend.
22 Team USA Dads Who Will Make You Smile
June 15, 2014
In honor of Father's Day, meet some of Team USA's newest dads