Hometown: Woodside, Calif.
Birth year: 1994
Height: 6-8 (203 cm)
Weight: 215 lbs (98kg)
College: Stanford (2016, science, technology and society)
- 2016 MPSF Player of the Year and Lloy Ball Award as the nation's best setter at NCAA DI-II from Off the Block. Also 2016 AVCA First-Team All-American.
- Helped Stanford to the 2014 NCAA National Championship where it finished second and named to the all-tournament team
- Has signed to play for Tonazzo Padova in Italy's Serie A League during the winter of 2016-17
DID YOU KNOW?
- A member of the 2013 and ’12 U.S. Junior National Team. The 2012 team won the NORCECA U21 Continental Championship
- A member of the 2011 Boys’ Youth National Team that won bronze at the U19 Pan American Cup and went on to compete at the FIVB World Championship
- Was the first setter to start as a freshman at Stanford since National Team member Kawika Shoji. Shaw had to beat out Joe Ctvrtlik, son of Olympic gold medalist Bob Ctvrtlik, to win the spot.
- AVCA second team All-American in 2014
- A 2012 graduate of St. Francis High School in Mountain View, Calif.
- Led the Lancers to the 2012 Central Coast Section Division I championship
- A member of the Mountain View Volleyball Club and won a bronze medal at the 2011 USA Junior National Championships, earning all-tournament honors
- Parents Donald and Carolyn Shaw. Donald was a head coach of both men’s and women’s volleyball at Stanford University for a total of 27 years
- Has one older sister, Jordan (1992) who played volleyball at St. Mary’s College
- Enjoys golfing, playing basketball, table tennis, listening to music, creating music, playing video games traveling, fishing, and watching sports
“I’m finally getting healthy for the first time, so things are really looking up. I would obviously love to get on the court this summer with the team and represent America, but the setting position is full of guys who are talented and have been in the gym longer than I. The coaches know, though, that I’m in it for the long haul, so I have no worries or stresses about making an immediate impact.”
Updated June, 2016
Men's Update: Micah in Italy
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) Oct. 14, 2016
Micah Christenson returns to his Italian team plus updates on other U.S. men competing overseas
Men's Update: What's Next?
B.J. Hoeptner Evans Oct. 06, 2016
U.S. men's players Have already started playing for their overseas clubs
U.S. Selects 19-Man Roster for World League
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (email@example.com) June 08, 2016
World League will be important in selecting roster for Rio, Coach John Speraw says
Familiar Names on World League Roster
BJ Evans May 06, 2014
Olympians, collegians included on 22-man preliminary roster
Shaw Joins U.S. Men's Junior Roster
Darci Miller Aug. 08, 2013
The U.S. Men's Junior National Team welcomes setter James Shaw to its ranks.
More Stories ›