Hometown: Ellicott City, Md.
Birth Year: 1993
Position: Outside Hitter
Height: 6-9 (205cm)
Weight: 225 (98kg)
College: Penn State (2011-2015)
Joined Team: 2014
- Was the leading scorer for the U.S. Men in the final three matches of the 2015 FIVB World Cup as the U.S. won and qualified for the 2016 Olympic Games
- Won a gold medal and was the youngest member of the U.S. Men’s Team for the 2014 NORCECA World Championship Qualifier
- He was named Best Spiker at the 2014 World Championship Qualifier where he made his national team debut
DID YOU KNOW?
- In 2015, won the inaugural Karch Kiraly Award, presented by Off the Block blog, as the best outside attacker in NCAA DI-II men's volleyball.
- Helped Penn State reach the 2013, 2014 and 2015 NCAA Men’s DI-II National Championship tournaments
- Named 2014 and 2015 AVCA First Team All-American and 2013, '14 and '15 Uvaldo Acosta Memorial EIVA Player of the Year
- A member of the 2013 Men’s Junior National Team that competed at the FIVB U21 World Championship
- A member of the 2011 Boys’ Youth National Team that won a bronze medal at the U19 Pan American Cup; scored a team-best 45 points
- A member of the 2010 BYNT that finished second at the NORCECA U19 Championship. Russell was named best blocker
- Was a top soccer player for Centennial High in Ellicott City, Md. The school did not have a volleyball team. He helped the girls’ team train
- Played club volleyball for the Maryland Volleyball Club under Olympic gold medalist Aldis Berzins. Credits Berzins, Ric Lucas and his father for helping him succeed in the sport
- Parents are Stewart and Marian Russell. Aaron is the second-oldest of five brothers. The other brothers are Peter (1992), Samuel (1995), Tim (1999) and Paul (2002)
- Began playing both beach and indoor volleyball in 2008
THE BIG BLURB
"There are some similarities. They both move similarly, they follow the same path. Matty played middle in high school, then moved to outside. They both have the ability adapt to whatever role the team needed of them." – Penn State Head Coach Mark Pavlik comparing Aaron Russell and Matt Anderson
U.S. Men Find Rhythm to Beat Belgium
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) June 24, 2016
U.S. Men overcome rough first set to defeat European side.
US Men Have New Look for World League
B.J. Evans (email@example.com) June 23, 2016
Injury to Max Holt changes Speraw's plan for Olympic group to compete together.
12 U.S. Men’s Volleyball Players Who Will Go For Gold In Rio Selected To Olympic Team
Craig Bohnert June 21, 2016
Two-thirds of the squad are Olympic rookies, while Reid Priddy makes his fourth Olympic appearance.
USAV Announces U.S. Olympic Men's Team
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) June 21, 2016
Youthful U.S. team will compete at 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro
Brazil Defends its Turf against U.S. Men
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (email@example.com) June 18, 2016
Host Brazil hands U.S. Men their first loss of the 2016 FIVB World League campaign
U.S. Men Challenge Iran in 3-1 Victory
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) June 17, 2016
The U.S. Men win two challenges at the end of the match to secure second World League win
U.S. Men Begin World League in Olympic City
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (email@example.com) June 14, 2016
U.S. Men hope to improve on third-place finish in 2015
U.S. Selects 19-Man Roster for World League
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) June 08, 2016
World League will be important in selecting roster for Rio, Coach John Speraw says
Men's Update: Five Things About Dustin Watten
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (email@example.com) May 04, 2016
There is more to know about libero Dustin Watten and there is only ONE U.S. Men's National Team player left playing overseas
Men's Update: Five Things About David Smith
B.J. Hoeptner Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) April 28, 2016
Find out more about middle blocker David Smith, plus what players are headed back to the USA?
More Stories ›