Birth Year: 1992
Resides: Carlsbad, Calif.
College: Pepperdine/ Washington
View Summer's full match statistics at BVBinfo.com
Follow Summer on Instagram
- In 2010 when she was 17, Ross partnered with Jane Croson to win the FIVB U19 World Championship and partnered with Tara Roenicke to win the FIVB U21 World Championship. It was the first time the U.S. had won gold in either tournament.
- In 2012, won the gold medal at the World University Championships with partner Emily Day.
- Named the USA Volleyball Female Beach Volleyball Player of the Year in 2010, the first time the award was ever given to a junior player
DID YOU KNOW?
- Opened the 2015 FIVB World Tour tying for ninth with Jennifer Fopma at the Fuzhou Open in China. Improved to a team best finish of fifth at the Prague Open. Placed again, 17th, at the Moscow Grand Slam
- Partnered with Lane Carico, pair took ninth at the Yokohama Grand Slam
- With Fopma, was also one of four women's teams to play in Melhores do Mundo, USA vs Brazil in Rio de Janeiro in Late February 2015.
- Finished 2014 ranked 21st on the FIVB World Tour with partner Emily Day. The pair was second among U.S. teams. Their best finish was fifth
- Finished 2014 ranked third on the AVP Tour with Day. The team finished second at Atlantic City and third at St. Petersburg, Salt Lake City and Manhattan Beach.
- Took the silver medal with partner Brittany Hochevar at the 2013 NORCECA Beach Circuit event in the Dominican Republic (March 29-31)
- Transferred from Washington to Pepperdine in January 2012 and won the first-ever AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball National Pairs Championship with partner Caitlin Racich
- Spent 2011 fall semester of her freshman year playing indoor volleyball for the University of Washington where she averaged 1.56 kills and 2.23 digs as a starting outside hitter
- Became the first athlete, male or female, to win both the FIVB Youth World Championships and the FIVB Junior World Championships in the same year in 2010
- Nominated for the United States Olympic Committee SportsWoman of the year in 2010
- Partner with Tara Roenicke and qualified for the main draw of two AVP Tour pro beach events in 2010, becoming the youngest duo ever to make the main draw
- Competed in the 2010 main draw against Olympic gold medalist Misty May-Treanor
- Featured in Sports Illustrated’s “Faces in the Crowd” after her Junior World Championships victory
- Placed ninth with partner Jane Croson at the 2008 FIVB World Junior Championships in England, the youngest pair to ever compete
- Played club for Encinitas WAVE from 2005-07, then played for Laguna Beach in 2008, followed by two years playing for Coast VBC in 2009-10
- Listed among Volleyball Magazine’s “Fab 50” high school players
- Graduated from Carlsbad Seaside Academy a semester early and was the 2011 valedictorian
- Left Pepperdine and chose to pursue professional beach volleyball exclusively in 2012
- Ross’s mother, Kathy, died in 2014 while Summer was competing overseas
- Ross’s father is Tony. Her brother, Chase, played volleyball at Pepperdine
| Summer Ross celebrates during a 2014 FIVB tournament.
THE BIG BLURB
“I definitely think she’s the future of our sport, I definitely see that,” Misty May-Treanor said of Ross. “And I think she’s doing all the right things to get there. She went for indoor, found her heart was beach, went professional in beach, and I know she’s very dedicated to the beach game. And trying her hand at 2016, which is not out of her sights at all. She can definitely make that a reality, in my eyes.”
“I love having goals but I also like to keep it one day at a time and getting better each day,” Ross said in an Echo Entertainment interview. “Going to the Olympics is a big dream but I definitely want to keep improving and hopefully one day get there.”
Updated July, 2015
More Stories ›