Hometown: Costa Mesa, Calif.
Birth Year: 1982
Resides: Newport Beach, Calif.
- Ross and then-partner Jennifer Kessy won the silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. The pair lost to U.S. compatriots Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings in the gold medal match, 21-16, 21-16
- Ross and Kessy won the 2009 FIVB World Championship in Stavanger, Norway
- Led USC to the 2003 NCAA National Championship. Won the 2003-04 Honda volleyball award. Named the 2003 Pac-10 Player of the Year (her senior season), earned four All-America selections, including first team accolades in 2002 and 2003. Was USC's first-ever National Freshman of the Year
DID YOU KNOW?
- Opened the 2015 season finishing third with Walsh Jennings at the FIVB World Tour Fuzhou Open. Team leads all women with most podium placements on the World Tour, with seven.
- Ross and partner Kerri Walsh Jennings went undefeated on the domestic AVP Tour in 2014. They went 7-0 in tournaments, 36-0 in matches and 70-3 in sets.
- On the 2014 FIVB Tour, Ross and Walsh Jennings won gold medals at the Fuzhou Open in China, the Moscow Grand Slam, the Stavanger Grand Slam in Norway and the World Series of Beach Volleyball in Long Beach, Calif. The finished the season ranked third by the FIVB.
- Ross and Walsh Jennings started playing together at the end of 2013 and won the FIVB Grand Slams in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Xiamen, China
- Was named USAV Female Beach Athlete of the Year in 2014, 2013, 2011 and 2009. Ross and Kessy were named USAV Beach Team of the Year in 2009 and 2012
- Was the first U.S. woman to win the FIVB Rookie of the Year award in 2007
- Ross and Kessy started playing full time together in 2007 when neither of their regular partners could play in the first tournament of the season. They finished second at that tournament (AVP in Miami) and kept playing together.
- In 2008, Ross and Kessy just missed qualifying for the Olympic Games. They were seventh in the FIVB rankings, but the third-place U.S. team.
- In seven and a half seasons as partners, Ross and Kessy won 10 FIVB gold medals, 11 silvers and nine bronze. In 2013, Ross and Kessy took silver medals at the World Cup Final and the Rome Grand Slam and also won the World Series Cup in Long Beach.
- Ross attended Newport Harbor High School in Newport Beach, Calif., where she competed in indoor volleyball (four years), basketball (three years) and track and field (four years). She was the 1999 Gatorade Circle of Champions National Player of the Year
- Ross is married to fellow beach volleyball player Brad Keenan (2010)
- She graduated from USC in 2005 with a degree in international marketing
- Father's name is Glen. Ross's mother, Margie, died in 2001... Stepmother's name is Lynda. Has one sister, Amy, three stepbrothers - Tommy, Jimmy and Weston - and one stepsister – Mindy
THE BIG BLURB
"I've never played with anyone with as much energy as April has. It's like looking in a mirror out there. I think we're really similar in the way we play and the way we feel about playing. I don't think I would have guessed that really. I'm still getting to know her." – Kerri Walsh Jennings in ESPNW
“My mindset is the same as it’s always been; get better and win tournaments. Every tournament I go to, I want to win. It’s always the same. But every year I’ve gotten more and more focused. I think that will continue.” – April Ross
April Ross Wallpaper
April Ross Photo Gallery
Video: April Ross and Kerri Walsh Jennings during a timeout in Hawaii
Volleyball Stars Trying to Align – ESPNW
Video: Meet Jen Kessy and April Ross – ESPNW
Updated April, 2015
More Stories ›