Freestyle Skiing - Skicross
Short List Performance - Alpine
- 1998 Olympic Winter Games - seventh (Super-G), 20th (Giant Slalom)
- 2001 World Champion - Super-G
- 2002 Olympic Winter Games - eighth (Super-G), 16th (Downhill)
- 2005 World Championships silver medalist (Downhill), bronze medalist (Giant Slalom)
- 2006 Olympic Winter Games - ninth (Super-G), 10th (Downhill), DNF (Giant Slalom)
- 12 career World Cup wins
Short List Performance - Skicross
- 2008 X Games Champion
- 2009 World Championships - ninth
- Two career World Cup top fives
Many thought they had seen the last of Rahlves at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino. He had completed his third Olympics at 32 years old, and another four years in the ultra-competitive sport of alpine skiing seemed a pipe dream. However, Rahlves' career was reborn with the creation of skicross, a mix between skiing and snowboardcross that will make its Olympic debut in Vancouver. Rahlves took ninth at the inaugural World Championships, but his Olympic pedigree is unmatched among skicross racers. Maybe that will give him a boost in 2010.
At age 12, Rahlves skied in the winter and jet skied in the summer at his Northern California home. He was a World champion in the latter in 1993 and the former in 2001. He retired after the 2006 Olympic Winter Games, only to rekindle his competitive fires in the new Generation-X skiing discipline.
Did You Know...?
- Member of California's Governor's Council on physical fitness and sports
- Wears a helmet cam when he skis to produce films for his Web site
Red, White & Trending: Oct. 7-13
Jamie MacDonald Oct. 14, 2016
Simone Biles and Tatyana McFadden breeze through the Windy City, Jessie Diggins shows off a strong mime game, an Arizona-born teen makes ice hockey history, Amanda Kessel and Ronda Rousey make high-profile returns, LeBron James makes a statement in pink, Ashton Eaton takes in spectacular views from the high road, skier Daron Rahlves takes to water skis, Shaun White chills in New Zealand, hints of Halloween and much more.
Photos: U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation supporters, guests celebrate Team USA in Aspen
U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation March 16, 2016
Donors and guests hit the slopes with Team USA athletes Daron Rahlves, Shannon Bahrke and Stephen Lawler
USA Ski Cross Raises Money And Hopes For Sochi
Peggy Shinn Oct. 10, 2012
Duran, Swensson, Teller are looking for creative ways to help get them to Sochi