Michael Prout won two medals, including gold in the 400m freestyle, at his first Paralympic Games in Athens, Greece in 2004. After three fourth-place finishes at the 2006 IPC Swimming World Championships, he won eight medals at the Parapan American Games the following year. Unfortunately, Prout was unable to find the podium in Beijing in 2008.
Prout graduated with honors from St. Mary's High School. He attended the University of Massachusetts at Amherst with a major in social thought and political economy, which combines philosophy and sociology. He also swam on his collegiate team before graduating in 2009.
He currently resides at the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center, where he is training with the resident team for the 2012 Paralympic Games in London, England
- 2011: Gold medal, 100m backstroke; Silver medal, 400m freestyle; Bronze medal, 200m individual medley; Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships, Edmonton, Canada
- 2008: U.S. Paralympic Team member, Swimming - Paralympic Games, Beijing, China
- 2008: American record, 200m freestyle - CanAm Championships, Victoria, British Columbia
- 2007: First place, 400m freestyle; Third place, 100m freestyle - U.S. Paralympics Open Swimming Championships, College Park, Md.
- 2007: Four gold medals, 100m backstroke, 100m freestyle, 200m individual medley, 400m freestyle; Three silver medals, 50m freestyle, 100m butterfly, 4x100 freestyle relay; Bronze medal, 4x100m medley relay - Parapan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2006: Two Pan American records, 200m freestyle, 200m individual medley; Fourth place, 100m freestyle, 200m IM, 400m freestyle - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Swimming World Championships, Durban, South Africa
- 2005: Gold medal, 400m freestyle - U.S. Paralympics Open Swimming Championships, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 2005: Fifth place, 100m freestyle - Visa Paralympic World Cup, Manchester, United Kingdom
- 2004: Gold medal, 400m freestyle; Bronze medal, 100m freestyle; Fourth place, 200m individual medley - Paralympic Games, Athens, Greece
- 2004: First place, 100m butterfly, 400m freestyle, 100m freestyle - U.S. Paralympic Trials, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 2003: First place, 100m freestyle, 200m freestyle, 400m freestyle - Canadian Open Swim Meet, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- 2002: Fourth place, 400m freestyle; Fifth place, 200m individual medley; Sixth place, 100m freestyle - IPC Swimming World Championships, Mar del Plata, Argentina
- 2002: First place, 100m freestyle, 200m freestyle, 200m butterfly, 200m backstroke, 400m freestyle, 800m freestyle, 1500m freestyle - National Disability Championships, Federal Way, Wash.