Hometown: Parkesburg, Pa.
Birthplace: West Chester, Pa.
Current Residence: Gastonia, NC
Discipline/Event: Slalom, K-1 Men
College: Belmont Abbey College
Club: Nantahala Racing Club
2008 Olympian in C-2 with Casey Eichfeld
2014 U.S. Senior Team Member K1 Men
- 2014 National Champion K1 Men
- 2014 World Championships: 16th in K1
- 2013 National Champion K1 Men
- 2012 Under-23 World Championships: BRONZE in K1 U23
- 5th at 2010 U.S. National Team Trials
- 10th at Bourg-Saint-Maurice
- 2006 U.S. National Champion C-2
- Member Senior Team in C-2 at age 18
- Member U.S. Junior Team at age 15
- 2nd at Australian Youth Olympic Festival (2007)
Other Results in Kayak:
- 2014 World Cup Final: 33rd in K1, 9th in Team K1
- 2014 World Cup No. 4: 15th in K1
- 2014 World Cup No. 3: 51st in K1
- 2014 World Cup No. 1: 27th in K1
- 2014 U.S. Team Trials: 3rd in K1
- 2014 U.S. Open: 2nd in K1
- 2014 Oceania Championships: 7th in K1
- 2013 World Championships: 26th in K1
- 2013 Final World Cup Series Rankings: 41st in K1
- 2013 World Cup Final: 24th, SILVER in Team K1
- 2013 World Cup No. 4: 18th in K1
- 2013 World Cup No. 3: 43rd in K1
- 2013 World Cup No. 2: 53rd in K1
- 2013 World Cup No. 1: 43rd in K1
- 2013 U.S. Slalom Team Trials: 3rd in K1
- Reached semifinals at the 2012 Oceania Open - placing 20th
- Family: Parents - Sandy and Jim Powell; Sisters - Jamie and Michelle
- Hobbies: Playing guitar, downhill skiing, rock climbing, traveling, snow boarding, skateboarding.
- Did you know: I started slalom racing when I was 3 years old in a canoe with my mom and dad. I started racing in kayak when I was 6 years old at the Penn Cup Slalom Series in Pennsylvania. I was also a downhill ski racer from age 6 to 11.
- 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing: Paddled C-2 in the bow with partner Casy Eichfeld.
- In the community: Volunteered from 2005-06, helping out a Special Olympics bowling league.
More Stories ›