Events: 4x100-meter freestyle, 4x100-meter freestyle, 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter butterfly, 200-meter IM, 400-meter IM, 4x100 medley
Hometown: Towson, Md.
High School: Towson High School (Towson, Md.) '03
Current Residence: Baltimore, MD.
College: University of Michigan
- Four-time Olympian (2000, 2004, 2008, 2012); 22-time Olympic medalist, most decorated Olympian of all time (18 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze)
- London 2012 Olympic Games, gold (4x200-meter relay, 200-meter IM, 100-meter fly and men's 4x100-meter medley relay), silver (4x100-meter freestyle relay and 200-meter fly), 4th (400-meter IM)
- Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, gold (200-meter freestyle, men's 4x100-meter freestyle, men's 4x200-meter freestyle, 100-meter fly, 200-meter fly, 200-meter IM, 400-meter IM, men's 4x100-meter medley)
- Athens 2004 Olympic Games, gold (4x200-meter freestyle, 100-meter fly, 200-meter fly, 200-meter IM, 400-meter IM, men's 4x100-meter medley), bronze (4x100-meter freestyle and 200-meter freestyle)
- Sydney 2000 Olympic games, 5th (200-meter butterfly)
- 2014 Pan Pacific Games, gold (100-meter butterfly, 4x100-meter medley), silver (200-meter individual medley)
- 2011 FINA World Championships, gold (200-meter individual medley, 200-meter butterfly, 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter freestyle), silver (400-meter individual medley)
- During the Beijing Games, Phelps set seven world records, eight American records, and eight Olympic records
- His four individual world records and seven gold medals at the 2007 World Championships made him the winningest athlete in World Championship history
- Youngest man to break at world record, breaking the 200-meter fly mark at the 2001 Spring Nationals
Fun Facts: Was the youngest male Olympian since 1932 at the 2000 Sydney Games ... Enjoys watching television and playing video games ... Started the Michael Phelps Foundation to grow the sport of swimming and promote healthy lifestyles ... Was named the 2008 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year ... Phelps' wingspan is a disproportionate six feet, seven inches and his shoe size is a 14 ... With 22 medals, Phelps is the most decorated Olympian of all time
The 15 Best Photos Of Team USA Celebrating Victory In 2015
Dec. 22, 2015
These photos of pure joy and elation are sure to make your day.
Red, White & Trending: Dec. 11-17
Jamie MacDonald Dec. 18, 2015
While Alex Morgan brings glad tidings from New Orleans, Abby Wambach's final game draws out the emotion in her teammates, plus we see perhaps LeBron James' best move ever, a Voice lesson from Mike Eruzione and more.
Missy Franklin Wins Two U.S. Titles At Winter Nationals
Dave Dyer Dec. 06, 2015
Phelps won his third title of the meet, a Youth Olympian shined and an age-group record was broken.
Shields Gives Phelps Run For Money In 100-Meter Fly
Dave Dyer Dec. 05, 2015
The win was Phelps’ second in as many days at the AT&T Winter National Championships.
Michael Phelps Opens Winter Nationals With 60th U.S. Title
Dave Dyer Dec. 04, 2015
Phelps is back at the pool where his run of dominance began in 2000.
From A To Z: A List Of Reasons To Be Thankful For Team USA
Karen Rosen Nov. 25, 2015
Take a look at some of the athletes, moments and more that make Team USA's history so special.
Katie Ledecky And Michael Phelps Crowned U.S. Swimmers Of The Year At Golden Goggles
Associated Press Nov. 23, 2015
Jordan Wilimovsky was named Breakout Performer and Allison Schmitt earned the Perseverance Award.
Photo Gallery: Capture the Olympic Spirit
U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation Nov. 17, 2015
Team USA athletes and guests gather for a celebration in support of Team USA at the Carolands Chateau.
75 Ways Team USA Athletes Give Back To The World
Lisa Costantini Nov. 15, 2015
Find out how Olympians and Paralympians are making the world a better place, in honor of Philanthropy Day.
Michael Phelps: “I’m Thrilled Going Into This Year And Giddy To See What Happens At The End”
Stuart Lieberman Nov. 12, 2015
Phelps begins what could be his final season in Minneapolis, where he swam in his first U.S. championships.
More Stories ›