- Five-time Olympian (2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016); 28-time Olympic medalist (23 golds, 3 silvers, 2 bronzes)
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games, gold (4x100m medley, 4x100m free, 200m fly, 4x200m free, 200m medley); silver (100m fly)
- London 2012 Olympic Games, gold (100m fly, 200m medley, 4x100m medley, 4x200m free); silver (200m fly, 4x100m free); 4th (400m medley)
- Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, gold (100m fly, 200m fly, 200m free, 200m medley, 400m medley, 4x100m free, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley)
- Athens 2004 Olympic Games, gold (100m fly, 200m fly, 200m medley, 400m medley, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley); bronze (200m free, 4x100m free)
- Sydney 2000 Games, 5th (200m fly)
- With 28 medals – including 23 golds – Phelps is the most decorated Olympian of all time
- Became the first American male swimmer to qualify for five Olympic teams in June 2016
- In 2000, he became the youngest male Olympian since 1932 and his eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games is an Olympic record
- During the Beijing Games, Phelps set seven world records, eight American records and eight Olympic records
- Most recent: 2011 – gold (100m fly, 200m fly, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley); silver (200m free, 200m medley), bronze (4x100m free)
- Years of participation: Long Course – 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011; Short Course – 2004
- Medals: 34 (27 golds, 6 silvers, 1 bronze)
- Gold – 2001 (200m fly); 2003 (200m fly, 200m medley, 400m medley, 4x100m medley); 2004 (200m free); 2005 (200m free, 200m medley, 4x100m medley, 4x100m free, 4x200m free); 2007 (100m fly, 200m fly, 200m free, 200m medley, 400m medley, 4x100m free, 4x200m free); 2009 (100m fly, 200m fly, 400m free, 800m free, 4x100m medley); 2011 (100m fly, 200m fly, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley)
- Silver – 2003 (100m fly, 4x200m free); 2005 (100m fly); 2009 (200m free); 2011 (200m free, 200m medley)
- Bronze – 2011 (4x100m free)
- His four individual world records and seven gold medals at the 2007 World Championships made him the winningest athlete in world championship history.
Celebrate Olympic Day With 10 Times U.S. Athletes Demonstrated The Olympic Spirit
Karen Price June 22, 2017
The Olympic Games aren’t just about winning gold medals, as these athletes showed.
Michael Phelps' Next Challenge: Racing A Great White Shark
Karen Price June 16, 2017
The 23-time Olympic champion swimmer will appear on two shows during Shark Week.
Red, White & Trending: June 9-15
Jamie MacDonald June 16, 2017
Pressure begins to mount for Team USA's winter athletes; Michael Phelps swims with sharks; Michelle Carter calls her shot ... to inspire; Kaleigh channels Kobe from long distance; Chris Mazdzer finds the 'fattest' building in the world and an odd Romanian traffic jam; Meghan O’Leary braves beauty and winds in Poland; Jim Craig, Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian celebrate birthdays; Lindsay Whalen makes WNBA history; the USMNT's biggest fans are the USWNT and the Steelers; Becca Meyers can't even vacation without working out; Tara Lipinski's fiancé wows her again; a powerful pic of Nicole Roundy; Steven Nyman's days-old daughter sings (with some help); Flag Day Salutes; a new sport for Tucker West and more
Celebrate Flag Day With 50 Star-Spangled Moments From Rio
June 14, 2017
Relive these American celebrations featuring the Stars and Stripes.
Red, White & Trending: May 5-11
Jamie MacDonald May 12, 2017
Baby news (congratulations, Mariel Zagunis and Chellsie Memmel); a birth announcement (Jennifer Kessy); a first birthday (Boomer Phelps); a wedding (Cullen Jones); an engagement (Nathan Adrian); a bachelor/bachelorette party combo; Jenn Suhr learns a most unique fishing technique; a skateboarding star attempts Allyson Felix’s training program; Keni Harrison thrives with a broken hand; a hockey star will fly with the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds; and scores of Team USA athletes share heartfelt tributes to Steven Holcomb after the sudden and devastating news of his passing.
Red, White & Trending: March 31-April 6
Jamie MacDonald April 07, 2017
Bubba Watson’s cute caddie at Augusta; Kevin Love’s special connection to the Ducks and The Beach Boys; Final Four reactions from Team USA (and a president); dreaming, already, of Tokyo; figure skaters having a ball and one chilly dip, in Helsinki; heartfelt reflections of the winter season; never-ending winters in Russia and, for Shawn Johnson, Alberta; Travis Ganong’s sick powder ride through British Columbia’s trees; Alana Nichols conquering a mountain of her own; skier Resi Stiegler ripping through the waves in Hawaii; Zach Parise’s touching tribute to his dad; the best of the April Fool’s Day shenanigans, including two follow-up apologies; and a special dedication.
8 Team USA Olympians Who Have Absolutely Incredible Kids
Lisa Costantini March 16, 2017
In honor of Absolutely Incredible Kid Day, we predict the next generation of U.S. Olympians.
Red, White & Trending: Feb. 3-9
Jamie MacDonald Feb. 10, 2017
The best of the best of Team USA’s #1YearToGo barnstorming tour, including ice skaters meeting Ice Cube and Ice T, along with visions and dreams of PyeongChang and curling karaoke; big Steve Langton announces big bobsled news; two of the most inspirational videos you’ll see this week; ride along with Team USA during a roller-coaster Super Bowl, with Simone Biles sizing up Shaquille O’Neal; Steven Nyman taking another perspective after his season-ending knee injury; National Pizza Day fun; and the best package an Olympian or Paralympian could imagine.
Red, White & Trending: Jan. 27-Feb. 2
Jamie MacDonald Feb. 03, 2017
Sled team mourns the loss of head coach Jeff Sauer, gymnast Kyla Ross’ serendipitous perfection, Amy Purdy revs up a keynote speech, Team USA celebrates playing like a girl on #NGWSD, Jozy Altidore’s video brain teaser, Khatuna Lorig is bull’s-eye crazy, Laurie Hernandez reaches two new heights, track stars break a world medley record, Michael Phelps' raucous tee shot, Michelle Carter meets the Met, Ryan Hall racks up 308,727 steps in a week, Serena Williams honors her sister after winning No. 23, Olympians’ snow dazes in California, Paralympians’ snow days in Tarvisio, Steele Johnson’s diving fail, Gwen Jorgensen’s pro tip for pregnant moms, Simone Biles’ super H-Town experience and more.
Red, White & Trending: Jan. 20-27
Jamie MacDonald Jan. 27, 2017
Even Lindsey Vonn's dog is a speedy downhiller, Michael Phelps golfs sans spikes, Nathan Chen wows Team USA with his skates, Kerri Walsh Jennings wows the beach volleyball world, Robby Kelley delights 50,000 slalom fans at a night-race crash, Emily Day’s hat tricks, Steven Holcomb’s photo journalism skills, Tucker West’s lack thereof, Ryan Hall’s remarkable running feat of ... seven ... marathons ... this week, Andy Roddick’s humbling hall pass, Carlin Isles’ wall pass, Team USA takes in the X Games Aspen scene, Sage Kotsenburg and Kaitlyn Farrington are up to their ears in powder, the king and queen of talking trash meet in Indy, Shawn Johnson is too prepared for the Super Bowl and more.