EVENT - TENNIS
- 2009 U.S. champion
- 2008 Grand Prix Final gold medalist
- 2007 Four Continents bronze medalist
- 11th place at 2008 and 2009 World Championships
- Fourth place at 2007 and 2008 U.S. Championships
- 2005 U.S. Junior champion
- Ranked No. 7 in the ISU World Standings as of May 2009
After going to the tennis courts with her sister and grandmother at the age of seven, Melanie Oudin was hooked. After seventh grade, Oudin started homeschooling in order to devote her time to tennis training. She turned professional in 2008.
In the summer of 2009, she made her way through Wimbledon qualifying to earn a spot in the main draw. She defeated former No. 1 Jelena Jankovic to make her first 4th round appearance at a Grand Slam. At the 2009 US Open, Oudin became the youngest American Grand Slam quarterfinalist since Serena Williams at the 1999 US Open.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- Wrote "BELIEVE" on her shoes at the 2009 US Open
- Her grandmother gave her her first tennis racquet