Although he has already competed at the 2008 Paralympic Games, Tom Miazga is still only beginning to acquire international experience. In 2007 at the Parapan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Miazga won six medals. While he did not replicate his medal haul in Beijing, Miazga is sure to be a fixture on the U.S. Paralympics swimming scene for years to come.
Miazga started swimming in second grade when his coach, who was also his teacher, said that it would be the best sport for him. Miazga says, "I knew I was hooked and that swimming was going to be a lot of fun." After watching the movie "Remember the Titans," his coach began investigating Paralympic sports and told Miazga that it would give him the chance to take swimming to the next level.
Miazga currently attends Saint Louis University, where he participates on the Billikens’ swim team.
- 2015: Parapan American Games, silver (100 backstroke)
- 2011: Gold medal, 100m backstroke; Silver medal, 400m freestyle, Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships, Edmonton, Canada
- 2008: U.S. Paralympic Team member, Swimming - Paralympic Games, Beijing China
- 2008: First place, 100m backstroke and 200m backstroke - U.S. Paralympic Swimming Trials, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 2007: First place, 50m backstroke, 200m backstroke; Third place, 100m backstroke - U.S. Paralympics Open Swimming Championships, College Park, Md.
- 2007: Gold medal, 100m backstroke; Three silver medals, 100m freestyle, 400m freestyle, 4x100m freestyle relay; Two bronze medals, 200m individual medley, 4x100m medley relay - Parapan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2007: First place, 200m backstroke; Second place, 100m backstroke; Fourth place, 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 400m freestyle - Can-Am Championships, Montreal, Canada
- 2007: Four short-course American records, 50y backstroke, 100y backstroke, 200y backstroke, 200 butterfly - 13 & Over State Championships, Mequon, Wis.
- 2006: First place, 200m backstroke; Second place, 50m freestyle, 100m backstroke; Third place, 200m individual medley - U.S. Paralympics Swimming National Championships, San Antonio, Texas
U.S. swimmers conclude competition at Parapan Am Games with three bronze medals
Annemarie Blanco Aug. 14, 2015
Swimming ends with 32 medals for Team USA
Four more medals for Team USA on sixth day of the 2015 Parapan American Games
Annemarie Blanco Aug. 13, 2015
Weggemann and Beranbaum top the podium with two gold medals
Leslie Cichocki tops the podium on day three in Toronto
Annemarie Blanco Aug. 10, 2015
Team USA swimmers add three more medals to their collection in Toronto
The medal streak continues for Team USA swimmers on day two of the Parapan American Games
Annemarie Blanco Aug. 09, 2015
Team USA took home five medals on the second day of competition in Toronto
Team USA Swimmers take home five medals on day one of the 2015 Parapan American Games
Annemarie Blanco Aug. 08, 2015
Team USA wins five medals in the pool on the first day of competition in Toronto
Going for the Gold: Casandra Shaffer seeks to continue mother's legacy
Annemarie Blanco June 18, 2015
The U.S. Paralympic swimmer is ready to tackle her first international competition this August
Records broken at Jimi Flowers Classic
Annemarie Blanco June 07, 2015
Numerous American and world records broken by athletes this weekend's Jimi Flowers Classic
Swimmers use Jimi Flowers Classic as preparation
Annemarie Blanco June 06, 2015
Swimmers from around the world met to compete in the Jimi Flowers Classic
U.S. Paralympics Swimming selects 2015 Parapan American Team
Brianna Tammaro April 03, 2015
Twenty-member U.S. roster includes five Paralympians
Becca Meyers sets another world record at 2014 Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships
Jamie M. Blanchard Aug. 09, 2014
Team USA sits atop medal standings with 98 medals over four days
More Stories ›