Although he has already competed at the 2008 Paralympic Games, Tom Miazga is still only beginning to acquire international experience. In 2007 at the Parapan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Miazga won six medals. While he did not replicate his medal haul in Beijing, Miazga is sure to be a fixture on the U.S. Paralympics swimming scene for years to come.
Miazga started swimming in second grade when his coach, who was also his teacher, said that it would be the best sport for him. Miazga says, "I knew I was hooked and that swimming was going to be a lot of fun." After watching the movie "Remember the Titans," his coach began investigating Paralympic sports and told Miazga that it would give him the chance to take swimming to the next level.
Miazga currently attends Saint Louis University, where he participates on the Billikens’ swim team.
- 2011: Gold medal, 100m backstroke; Silver medal, 400m freestyle, Pan Pacific Para-Swimming Championships, Edmonton, Canada
- 2008: U.S. Paralympic Team member, Swimming - Paralympic Games, Beijing China
- 2008: First place, 100m backstroke and 200m backstroke - U.S. Paralympic Swimming Trials, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 2007: First place, 50m backstroke, 200m backstroke; Third place, 100m backstroke - U.S. Paralympics Open Swimming Championships, College Park, Md.
- 2007: Gold medal, 100m backstroke; Three silver medals, 100m freestyle, 400m freestyle, 4x100m freestyle relay; Two bronze medals, 200m individual medley, 4x100m medley relay - Parapan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2007: First place, 200m backstroke; Second place, 100m backstroke; Fourth place, 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 400m freestyle - Can-Am Championships, Montreal, Canada
- 2007: Four short-course American records, 50y backstroke, 100y backstroke, 200y backstroke, 200 butterfly - 13 & Over State Championships, Mequon, Wis.
- 2006: First place, 200m backstroke; Second place, 50m freestyle, 100m backstroke; Third place, 200m individual medley - U.S. Paralympics Swimming National Championships, San Antonio, Texas
More Stories ›