Disciplines/events: Canoe Slalom, C1 and C2; also raced Wildwater C2 in Savage Worlds, 1989
Hometown: Silver Spring, Maryland
Current Residence: Lakeville, Connecticut
College/school: Yale University (1975, literature); before that Landon School
Club/team: Originally CCA; now H.A.C.K.S.
- 1972 Munich Olympics, 3rd (Bronze medal) in C1 class - the first time slalom canoe/kayak was part of the Olympic program/
- Canoe Slalom was not part of the Olympics between 1972 and 1992
- 1992 Barcelona Olympics, 4th, racing in C2 with Lecky Haller
- 1972 and 1975 C1 National Champion
- 1987 Bourg St. Maurice World Championships, 2nd place in C2 Class, racing with Lecky Haller
- Also with Lecky: Winner of the 1988 World Cup; Second in the 1989 World Cup
- Separately, Captain of Landon School Wrestling team, and winner of the National Prep School Championship in 1970. Also Captain of the Yale wrestling team, 1975.
Honors/awards: Corning Award for most improved paddler, 1985.
Family: wife Sandra Boynton, children Caitlin McEwan, Keith Boynton, Devin McEwan, Darcy Boynton (we alternated last names).
Job: freelance writer
Hobbies: Reading. Coaching. Maintaining slalom gates.
Trivia: son Devin is a U.S. National Team canoeist
What have you been up to since you finished competing? Raising four children, writing articles and short stories and memoirs, cooking dinners.
What is your favorite Olympic memory? In 1972, being warmly congratulated, and having my picture taken, by the fourth-place finisher, East German Jochen Foerster. He spoke very little English, and had never given me more than a nod before that day.