Hometown: Jersey City, N.J.
Current Residence: Champaign, Ill.
High School: Hudson County Prep (Jersey City, N.J.) '12
College: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign '16, Kinesiology
- 2012 Paralympic Games - gold (100m, 200m, 400m, 800m)
- 2015: IPC Marathon World Championships, 1st; Desert Challenge Games, 1st (100m, 400m, 1500m); U.S. Paralympics Track and Field National Championships, 1st (100m, 400m, 1500m), 3rd (800m); Parapan American Games, 1st (100m, 400m, 1500m)
- 2014: Desert Challenge Games, 1st (200m); Fast Cow Invitational and Indianapolis Invitational (400m, 1500m)
- 2013: IPC Athletics World Championships, gold (100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m)
- 2012 U.S. Paralympics Track and Field National Championships, 1st (200m, 400m, 800m)
- 2011 Parapan American Games, 1st (200m, 800m), 2nd (100m, 400m)
Facts: Ray is one of the premier wheelchair racers in the world. He is the son of Daniel and April Martin and has one brother, Richard. Martin, who was born with a congenital disorder known as arthrogryposis that affects his joint flexibility from his ankles to his neck, started recreational racing at age five. Thirteen years later, he made a name for himself at the London 2012 Paralympic Games where he won four gold medals. That year, he was also nominated for an ESPY award and was named the United States Olympic Committee’s Paralympic SportsMan of the Year twice, for 2012 and 2013. Martin's hobbies include reading, playing video games and going to concerts. He's fluent in Japanese and enjoys traveling the world with aspirations to be a doctor and make an impact on the world through medicine.
More Stories ›