Hometown: Santa Monica, Calif.
Birth Year: 1977
Resides: Long Beach, Calif.
Birth Place: Los Angeles, Calif.
College: Long Beach State
View Misty May-Treanor’s complete match results at BVBInfo.com
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings are considered the greatest beach volleyball team of all time after winning three straight Olympic gold medals (2004, 2008, 2012).
- May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings and won 21 consecutive Olympic matches and only lost one set (to Austria in 2012) during their 11-year run together.
- May-Treanor finished fifth with partner Holly McPeak at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.
- May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings won three straight FIVB world championships in 2005, 2007 and 2009.
- As an indoor setter at Long Beach State (1995-99), May-Treanor led an undefeated team to the 1998 NCAA Division I National Championship and received the Honda Broderick NCAA Athlete of the Year Award.
- Was a three-time AVCA All-American.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Since retiring following the 2012 Olympic Games, May-Treanor has served as an assistant sand volleyball coach at Long Beach State and now at the University of Southern California.
- Finished her career with 112 tournament wins, 43 international wins, and $2,132,733 in earnings. Was the first to reach 112 tournament wins before Kerri Walsh-Jennings broke the record in 2013.
- Was named Most Outstanding Player in women’s beach volleyball at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games.
- May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings won AVP Team of the Year five consecutive years (2003-07).
- In 2008, May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings broke their own record by winning 112 matches in a row and 19 consecutive tournaments.
- May-Treanor graduated from Long Beach State with a degree in kinesiology/fitness in 2002. She earned a master’s degree in coaching and athletic administration from Concordia University in Irvine, Calif., in 2013.
- May-Treanor was inducted into the Long Beach State Athletics Hall of Fame in 2004.
- May-Treanor’s father, Bob “Butch” May, was a member of the 1968 U.S. Men’s National Volleyball Team. Her mother, the late Barbara May, was a former nationally ranked tennis player. May-Treanor has two brothers: Brack and Scott.
- May-Treanor married professional baseball player Matt Treanor in December, 2008.
- May-Treanor graduated from Newport Harbor High School in 1995 and was named the 1995 High School Player of the Year.
- May-Treanor has appeared on CSI: Miami, Wizards of Waverly Place and Dancing with the Stars. She had to withdraw from Dancing with the Stars after rupturing her Achilles tendon during a practice.
- In 2010, May-Treanor published her autobiography entitled “Misty, Digging Deep in Volleyball and Life.”
- May-Treanor has tattoos honoring her deceased mother and grandmother. She sprinkled her mother’s ashes on the courts after her 2004 and 2008 Olympic gold medal wins.
THE BIG BLURB
“On the court, Misty was the smaller fast one behind me. I was the big girl at the net. I am very physical and Misty has a lot of finesse. When she was very quiet and focused, I was loud and a cheerleader. We fit really, really well on the court.” – Kerri Walsh Jennings
“I believe by our success and through the coverage on TV, more girls and young kids are playing beach volleyball. Also, sand volleyball has been introduced into some universities and will most likely become an NCAA sport. I feel we have been great ambassadors for the sport, but we only took the torch from the women that came before us and continued the run. There were many players before us that opened the door for us to be able to play the sport and a career doing what we love.” – Misty May-Treanor
Instagram – MistyMayVB
Pinterest – MistyMayTreanor
Misty May-Treanor Expecting First Child – People Magazine
Misty Announces She’s Pregnant
Olympic Champion Misty May-Treanor Joins USC Sand Volleyball Staff – USC
May, Walsh Reflect on Olympic Journey
The Golden Girls
Walsh, May-Treanor Three-Peat
2012 Women’s Beach Volleyball Medal Ceremony