Hometown: Miami, Florida
- 2012 Olympic Games, bronze (all-around), 5th (team competition), 5th (high bar individual event final)
- 2015 P&G Championships, bronze (parallel bars), 4th (high bar), 6th (all-around)
- 2014 World Championships, silver (parallel bars), bronze (team)
- 2014 P&G Championships, gold (parallel bars), 5th (all-around, pommel horse, high bar)
- 2013 P&G Championships, bronze (high bar), 5th (parallel bars), 7th (all-around)
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, gold (all-around, parallel bars, high bar), silver (pommel horse), 6th (vault), 7th (still rings), 8th (floor exercise)
- 2012 Visa Championships, gold (parallel bars, high bar), silver (all-around), 4th (pommel horse), 5th (floor exercise)
- 2011 World Championships, gold (parallel bars), bronze (team)
- 2011 Visa Championships, gold (all-around, parallel bars, high bar), 4th (pommel horse), 7th (floor exercise), 8th (still rings, vault)
- 2010 World Championships, 4th (team), 5th (high bar)
- 2010 Visa Championships, gold (parallel bars), silver (all-around), bronze (high bar)
- 2009 World Championships, 4th (high bar)
- 2009 Visa Championships, gold (high bar), silver (parallel bars), 5th (all-around)
Personal: Son of Yin Alvarez and Maria Gonzalez...Sister, Dayanis Mesa, is a Spanish television host ...Mother and stepfather were both members of the Cuban national gymnastics team ... Became the youngest member of the US National Senior team at age 17...Hobbies include playing and listening to music, painting and drawing...Enjoys Rap, Hip Hop and R&B music...Favorite T.V. shows are The Boondocks, Naruto, and Family Guy...Favorite foods are Spaghetti and Pizza
10 U.S. Men’s Gymnasts To Watch At The Olympic Trials
Chrös McDougall June 21, 2016
Only five can make the Olympic team, and few gymnasts are considered locks.
7 Takeaways From The P&G Men’s Gymnastics Championships
Stuart Lieberman June 06, 2016
Eighteen men moved on to the U.S. Olympic Team Trials later this month.
Donnell Whittenburg Leads P&G Men’s Championships At Halfway Point
Craig Bohnert June 03, 2016
While Whittenburg is in search of his first U.S. all-around title, Sam Mikulak is 0.050 points back.
What To Watch For As Men’s Gymnasts Begin Run To Rio
Stuart Lieberman May 31, 2016
The Men’s P&G Gymnastics Championships determine who goes on to the Olympic Trials.
Danell Leyva Wins World Cup Silver; Team USA Wins Both Gymnastics World Cup Series Titles
Craig Bohnert March 20, 2016
The U.S. won six medals in the three-stop series.
16 Of Team USA's Red Carpet Medal Moments
Feb. 28, 2016
Team USA athletes love bringing their medals along when they walk red carpets.
Red, White & Trending: Jan. 8-14
Jamie MacDonald Jan. 15, 2016
A little love from self-proclaimed-weirdo Shawn Johnson's fiance, Mikaela Shiffrin's comeback puts an emphasis on "back," Skylar Diggins gives back, Team USA gymnasts (and their abs) rock Rio and more.
Vote On Team USA's Top Athletes From November
Dec. 01, 2015
See which athletes made Team USA's Best of November nominations and vote on your favorites.
Simone Biles Caps Worlds With Record 10th Gold Medal, More Than Any Woman Ever
Associated Press Nov. 01, 2015
Biles won beam and floor, Leyva earned silver on high bar, Whittenburg & Nichols took bronze on vault, floor.
U.S. Men’s And Women’s Gymnastics Teams Qualify For 2016 Olympics
Brandon Penny Oct. 26, 2015
Both teams qualified for the team final at worlds, and U.S. athletes earned 16 spots in individual finals.
More Stories ›