Sport: Alpine Skiing
Classification: LW12-1, Sitting
Date of Birth: Aug. 6, 1990
Birthplace: Burlington, Vt.
Hometown: Burlington, Vt.
Current Residence: Winter Park, Colo.
High School: Burlington HS ‘09
Coach: Kevin Jardine
- 2015: IPCAS Mont-Sainte-Anne, 1st giant slalom; IPCAS Winter Park, 3rd giant slalom, 4th super-G; IPCAS Aspen, 4th super-G, 6th downhill; U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Championships, 8th super-G, 8th downhill
- 2014: Team member, Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games; IPCAS Panorama, 2nd giant slalom, 4th super combined
- 2013: IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships, 2nd downhill; World Cup Thredbo, 5th super-G; NorAm Kimberley, 3rd and 4th downhill
- 2012: Huntsman Cup, Park City, Utah, 1st giant slalom; NorAm Copper Mountain, 1st giant slalom; IPC Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals, 14th, 11th and 9th super-G, 12th super combined; World Cup Winter Park, 9th and 12th giant slalom
- 2011: Named to U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Team
Stephen Lawler has never been afraid of speed. Born with L2-5 spina bifida, Lawler was 6 years old when he first tried skiing. He thought the monoski was a sled, and he went straight down the hill. Lawler went on to become the first adaptive ski racer in the state of Vermont to represent a high school ski team in competition, and his senior year he was named captain. Throughout middle and high school, Lawler also skied with the Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports (VASS) ski team. After high school, he moved to Colorado to train full-time through the National Sports Center for the Disabled (NCSD) in Winter Park.
Lawler has suffered recurring shoulder injuries throughout his skiing career, having missed most of the 2010 season due to surgery. He came back stronger than ever, though, working his way up through the international ranks in 2011 and 2012 and claiming his first world championship medal, a silver in downhill, in 2013. Lawler is not the only fast one in his family -- his father was a rally car racer and won the 1998 U.S. Championships.
Happy Thanksgiving from Team USA
U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation Nov. 24, 2016
A special message of thanks from athletes at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs
Photos: U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation supporters, guests celebrate Team USA in Aspen
U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation March 16, 2016
Donors and guests hit the slopes with Team USA athletes Daron Rahlves, Shannon Bahrke and Stephen Lawler
U.S. Paralympics names 2015-16 alpine skiing and snowboarding national teams
Katie Branham July 16, 2015
Twenty-one athletes named to U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding National Teams
U.S. team announced for 2015 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships
Brianna Tammaro and Mary Kate Lau Feb. 18, 2015
Fourteen Paralympians highlight Team USA world championship roster
2014 Paralympics | Alpine Skiing | Men's Giant Slalom Run 1 - Sitting
March 15, 2014
2014 Paralympics | Alpine Skiing | Men's Giant Slalom 1st Run - Sitting Highlights
March 15, 2014
Lawler Makes World Cup
March 06, 2012
As one of the youngest and newest member on the U.S. Paralympics Alpine Skiing National Team, the 21-year-old has shown no problems skiing with the big guys.