Birthdate: November 16, 1989
Hometown: Upper Arlington, Ohio
Current Residence: Durham, North Carolina
Education: Duke University (2013)
Club: Duke Diving
Coach: Nunzio Esposto
National Team: 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
The daughter of David and Elaine Johnston, Abby has two sisters, Adrienne and Leah, and began diving in 2002. She was also a gymnast for nine years, but had to quit because of a back injury. Abby is training to make her second Olympic team while balancing the rigors of medical school. She began med school at Duke in the fall of 2014. While an undergraduate at Duke, she was enrolled in a pre-med program called CAPE and interned in the brain tumor clinic at Duke Hospital. In her spare time she enjoys going to the beach, watching TV, playing tennis and soccer, and spending time with family and friends.
- 2012 Olympic silver medalist in synchronized 3-meter with Kelci Bryant
- Seven-time senior national champion (6 in synchronized 3-meter (most recently with Laura Ryan at the 2015 Winter Nationals; 1 in individual 3-meter)
- Has medaled in synchronized 3-meter in 10 international competitions with five different partners, dating back to 2008. Six of those medals were won with Kelci Bryant. Most recently, she and new partner Laura Ryan won bronze at a 2014 FINA Grand Prix meet in Mexico, Johnston's first international meet since the 2012 Olympics
- Won the 2011 NCAA Championships on 3-meter to become Duke's first NCAA champion (in 2009, she became the first Duke diver to qualify for NCAAs)
- 2011, 2015 World Championships team member
100 Storylines To Follow For The Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Karen Rosen April 27, 2016
Find out just about everything you need to know for the final countdown to the Rio Games.
Abby Johnston wins two silver medals as U.S. divers claim four medals in Puerto Rico
USA Diving April 02, 2016
Johnston wins individual 3-meter silver, then pairs with Jordan Windle for second in mixed 3-meter synchro
4 Lessons Team USA Learned At The Diving World Cup
John Blanchette Feb. 25, 2016
Team USA divers earned eight new quota spots for the Rio Games and now have 10 of 12.
USA Diving announces 2016 FINA World Cup team
USA Diving Dec. 21, 2015
World Cup will double as Olympic qualifier and will be held February 19-24 in Rio de Janeiro
Cook, Johnson win women's 3-meter, men's 10-meter on final day of Winter Nationals
USA Diving Dec. 20, 2015
Cook, Johnson earn spots on World Cup team with their wins
Boudia/Johnson dominate 10-meter synchro; Johnston/Ryan win 3-meter synchro at Winter Nationals
USA Diving Dec. 16, 2015
David Boudia Wins Silver On 10-Meter At World Championships
USA Diving Aug. 02, 2015
The medal marked Boudia's third consecutive silver medal at the biennial FINA World Championships.
Back On The Board, Kristian Ipsen Has High Hopes For Worlds
Clay Latimer July 24, 2015
The top divers at the world championships can earn 2016 Olympic quota spots for Team USA.
Abby Johnston added to World Championships team on 3-meter
USA Diving June 22, 2015
Mix It Up: New Diving Events Bring Men And Women Together
John Blanchette April 21, 2015
Two U.S. teams will compete in mixed diving when the event makes its world championships debut this summer.
More Stories ›