: Sprint Kayak, K1 200m, K2 200m
: Atlanta, Ga.
: Atlanta, Ga.
: San Diego, Calif.
: UC-San Diego, aerospace engineering
: Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club
2013 U.S. Senior Team Member
How He Qualified: Hornsby, 26, took the long way to Olympic qualification. He won the Men’s K1 200m event at the 2011 Sprint National Championships in Gainesville, Ga. on Aug. 6. But it was teammate Ryan Dolan who qualified the Olympic boat quota slot for the U.S. at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico on October 28. Hornsby pulled even with Dolan in the Olympic selection process by winning the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Oklahoma City on April 20, forcing a race-off between the two at the first two 2012 World Cups. Hornsby clinched the spot for himself with a 14th place finish at the 2012 World Cup No. 2 in Duisburg, Germany on May 27.
- 2013 World Cup No. 2: 6th in K1 200m
- 2013 World Cup No. 2: 24th in K1 200m
- 2013 World Cup No. 1: 15th in K1 200m
- 2013 U.S. National Team Trials in Oklahoma City, Okla.: 1st in K1 200m
- 2012 World Cup No. 2: 14th in K1 200m
- 2012 World Cup No. 1: 25th in K1 200m
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials: 1st in K1 200m
- 2011 Pan American Games: 5th in K2 200m with Ryan Dolan
- 2011 World Championships: 25th in K2 200m
- 2011 World Cup No. 3: 14th in K2 200m
- 2011 World Cup No. 2: 23rd in K2 200m
- 2011 National Championships: K1 200m
- 2008 Olympic training partner
- 2010 Vichy World Cup: 11th in K1 200m
- 2008 Szeged World Cup: 4th in K1 200m, 8th in K2 500m, 8th in K2 1000m
- 2006 Pan American Championships: 3rd in K1 200m
Four Years Wiser: Hornsby, 26, attended the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games as a training partner for U.S. Olympian Rami Zur. Hornsby returns to the Olympic stage - this time as an Olympian - after outlasted teammates Zur and Ryan Dolan in the long 2012 selection process. Joining Hornsby in London will be his girlfriend Becky Holliday, who qualified for her first Olympics in pole vaulting. Hornsby is the first Olympian produced by the Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club, which has won 10 National Championships. Lake Lanier hosted the canoe/kayak and rowing events at the Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games.
Girlfriend: 2012 U.S. Olympic pole vaulter Becky Holliday
Hobbies: kitesurf, surf, biking, travel
Hero: Lance Armstrong
In the News: TeamUSA.org
Son of Roger and Patti Hornsby, Tim was born on July 20, 1986 in Atlanta, Georgia. He Attended Lakeside High School in Atlanta and graduated in 2004. Tim has been on the water since age 11 when he learned to paddle at spring break camp. After high school, Tim was accepted to the University of California San Diego, Jacob's School of Engineering.
He was first coached by Tony Hall in 1997 at the Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club. Tim’s Breakout year was in 2003, when he went to the World Junior Championships and placed 10th in the K2 1000-meter race at the age of 17. While still competing with the Junior National Team, Tim was in the K4 boat that placed 4th at Olympic Trials in 2004.
In 2006 at the Pan American Championships he placed 3rd in the K1 200-meter race. Then in 2007, Tim placed 2nd in the 4x100 meter relay at the World Cup in Szeged, Hungary. Tim has really begun to grow into a world class competitor. He started out 2008 by placing 1st at Olympic Trials in K2 500-meter race, as well as the K4 1000-meter race. He went on to compete in the World Cup circuit and placed 8th in the K2 500-meter race, and 8th in the K2 1000-meter race in Szeged, Hungary.