Track and Field
Erik Hightower has been wheelchair racing for more than a decade. He started at the age of 10 and made it all the way to Beijing, China, to compete in the 2008 Paralympic Games.
Hightower became introduced to wheelchair racing after his parents learned about the sport at a conference on spina bifida. He says he immediately took to it and began competing at the Junior Nationals year after year.
Hightower also races with a local Arizona club team, the Arizona Heat, and is coached by Troy Davis from the Mesa Association for Sports for the Disabled.
He also has his own website, which is listed below:
- 2011 Gold medal, 100m (T54), bronze, 400m (T54), silver, 200m (T54); Parapan American Games, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 2011 IPC Athletics World Championships Team Member
- 2010: First place, 100m T54; second place 200m T54 – U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships, Miramar, Florida
- 2008: U.S. Paralympic Team member, Track & Field – Paralympic Games, Beijing, China
- 2007: Bronze medal – 2007 Parapan American Games,
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2006: Member of the 2006
Paralympics Track & Field World Championships Team U.S.
- First place, 200 m; second place, 100m – U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships,
- 2005: First place, 100m, 200m, 400m - Junior National Championships,