Position: Middle Blocker
Hometown/Residence: St. Paul, Minn./St. Paul, Minn.
Birth Date: 1988
College/Major/Grad Year: University of Minnesota/Kinesiology/NA
Joined Team: January 2011
- Started seven of 14 matches during FIVB World Grand Prix, averaging 2.48 points and 0.68 blocks per set while converting 45.6 percent of attacks
- Started all 14 matches for the U.S. in 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix, averaging 2.35 points per set while converting 45.7 percent of attacks into points
- Two-time AVCA All-American at University of Minnesota (1st team as junior in 2009, 3rd team as sophomore in 2008)
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
2015 - USA Volleyball Cup vs China...FIVB World Grand Prix (Gold)...FIVB World Cup (Bronze)...NORCECA Championship (Gold)
2014 - USA Volleyball Cup vs. Brazil...FIVB World Grand Prix (5th Preliminary Round)
2013 - Pan American Cup (Gold)...USA Volleyball Cup...FIVB World Grand Prix (6th)...NORCECA Championship (Gold)...FIVB Grand Champions Cup (Silver).
2012 - Pan American Cup (Gold).
2011 – Pan American Games (Bronze).
Did You Know
- Nicknames are Gibby, Gibblet, Gibbs, etc
- In her international debut, started all five sets of the Pan American Games in 2011 and helped Team USA earn the bronze medal
- Averaged scoring 2.48 points per set while starting 29 matches in 2013, her first year in a primary starting role at middle blocker
- Has held starting role in consecutive Pan American Cups (2012 and 2013) leading to gold medals for the U.S.
- Competed on U.S. Women's Junior National Team in 2006 and 2007, which resulted in gold medal at NORCECA Women's U-20 Continental Championship (2006) and fourth-place finish at FIVB Volleyball Women's U-20 World Championship (2007).
- Concluded collegiate career at University of Minnesota as school's all-time leader in total blocks with 593 and ninth in kills with 1,421
- Started playing volleyball as freshman in high school
- Wanted to be a veterinarian growing up
- Inspired by her younger sister to want to help kids struggling with weight and obesity and would like to work on finding a prevention to childhood obesity
- Played for Northern Lights Volleyball Club program, leading the team to an undefeated season against her age division (52-0 versus 17s, only two losses against 18s teams) and winning the 2006 USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National Championships in the 17s Open Division while earning individual All-Tournament honors...Finished third nationally in the 18s Open Division of the USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National championships in 2007 where she was named to the All-Tournament team
The Big Blurb
On advice she would give to young athletes: "I just think they need to be resilient. If it is something they really want and they get cut from the team or they don't make the team they want, just to keep pushing. You can learn a lot from bouncing back from hard situations."
On advice she was given: "In college is when I really found that I could do really great things and I could be a really great player after playing under (Minnesota) coach Mike Hebert. He had a meeting with me and was like you can do one of two things - you can be great player and have a successful college career, or you can be something special. It is a lot of sacrifice and hard work. He kind of helped me choose that second route."
- Lauren Gibbemeyer Blog
- USA Volleyball Video Interview: Get to Know Lauren Gibbemeyer (Aug. 1, 2013)
- Fan Video: Best of Lauren Gibbemeyer
- St. Paul Pioneer Press Article: Body Shots Lauren Gibbemeyer
Last Updated Aug. 3, 2015
Women's Update: Future Preparations
Bill Kauffman Feb. 16, 2015
Open Tryouts are set for this weekend and current Team USA members are battling in club season
Women's Update: Impact of Coaching
Feb. 09, 2015
National Team coaches and athletes take part in HP Coaches Clinic
U.S. Women's Update: Fawcett Flowing
Bill Kauffman Feb. 02, 2015
Nicole Fawcett scores 53 points in 4-set Korea V-League match
Women's Update: Club Races Heat Up
Bill Kauffman Jan. 26, 2015
CEV Champions League nearing end of first round
Women's Update: Coaching and Showcases
Bill Kauffman Jan. 19, 2015
Second Collegiate All-Star Showcase part of Weekly Update highlights
U.S. Women's Update: Showcasing Talent
Bill Kauffman Jan. 12, 2015
College All-Star Showcase this Friday, CEV Champions League resumes this week
U.S. Women's Update: Collegiate All-Star Showcase
Jan. 05, 2015
AVCA Division I Player of the Year Micha Hancock and other collegiate stars to train
U.S. Women's Update: 2014 Coming to an End
Dec. 22, 2014
U.S. Women's Update: Meet National Teamers
Bill Kauffman Dec. 15, 2014
Dietzen, Banwarth representing Team USA at NCAA Championship
Bloopers of 2014
Dec. 10, 2014
Bloopers from events all throughout 2014.
More Stories ›