Position: Middle Blocker
Hometown/Residence: St. Paul, Minn./St. Paul, Minn.
Birth Date: 1988
College/Major/Grad Year: University of Minnesota/Kinesiology/NA
Joined Team: January 2011
- Started seven of 14 matches during FIVB World Grand Prix, averaging 2.48 points and 0.68 blocks per set while converting 45.6 percent of attacks
- Started all 14 matches for the U.S. in 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix, averaging 2.35 points per set while converting 45.7 percent of attacks into points
- Two-time AVCA All-American at University of Minnesota (1st team as junior in 2009, 3rd team as sophomore in 2008)
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
2015 - USA Volleyball Cup vs China...FIVB World Grand Prix (Gold)...FIVB World Cup (Bronze)...NORCECA Championship (Gold)
2014 - USA Volleyball Cup vs. Brazil...FIVB World Grand Prix (5th Preliminary Round)
2013 - Pan American Cup (Gold)...USA Volleyball Cup...FIVB World Grand Prix (6th)...NORCECA Championship (Gold)...FIVB Grand Champions Cup (Silver).
2012 - Pan American Cup (Gold).
2011 – Pan American Games (Bronze).
Did You Know
- Nicknames are Gibby, Gibblet, Gibbs, etc
- In her international debut, started all five sets of the Pan American Games in 2011 and helped Team USA earn the bronze medal
- Averaged scoring 2.48 points per set while starting 29 matches in 2013, her first year in a primary starting role at middle blocker
- Has held starting role in consecutive Pan American Cups (2012 and 2013) leading to gold medals for the U.S.
- Competed on U.S. Women's Junior National Team in 2006 and 2007, which resulted in gold medal at NORCECA Women's U-20 Continental Championship (2006) and fourth-place finish at FIVB Volleyball Women's U-20 World Championship (2007).
- Concluded collegiate career at University of Minnesota as school's all-time leader in total blocks with 593 and ninth in kills with 1,421
- Started playing volleyball as freshman in high school
- Wanted to be a veterinarian growing up
- Inspired by her younger sister to want to help kids struggling with weight and obesity and would like to work on finding a prevention to childhood obesity
- Played for Northern Lights Volleyball Club program, leading the team to an undefeated season against her age division (52-0 versus 17s, only two losses against 18s teams) and winning the 2006 USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National Championships in the 17s Open Division while earning individual All-Tournament honors...Finished third nationally in the 18s Open Division of the USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National championships in 2007 where she was named to the All-Tournament team
The Big Blurb
On advice she would give to young athletes: "I just think they need to be resilient. If it is something they really want and they get cut from the team or they don't make the team they want, just to keep pushing. You can learn a lot from bouncing back from hard situations."
On advice she was given: "In college is when I really found that I could do really great things and I could be a really great player after playing under (Minnesota) coach Mike Hebert. He had a meeting with me and was like you can do one of two things - you can be great player and have a successful college career, or you can be something special. It is a lot of sacrifice and hard work. He kind of helped me choose that second route."
- Lauren Gibbemeyer Blog
- USA Volleyball Video Interview: Get to Know Lauren Gibbemeyer (Aug. 1, 2013)
- Fan Video: Best of Lauren Gibbemeyer
- St. Paul Pioneer Press Article: Body Shots Lauren Gibbemeyer
Last Updated Aug. 3, 2015
More Stories ›