Hometown: Bountiful, Utah
Birth Year: 1976
Resides: Costa Mesa, Calif.
College: University of Utah
Current Coach: Tyler Hildebrand
Olympic Experience: 2008 Men's Beach Volleyball (5th place), 2012 Olympic Games (5th place)
View Jake's complete match statistics at BVBInfo.com
- With partner Casey Patterson, named USA Volleyball's Beach Team of the Year for 2013 and men's beach Athlete of the Year, his third consecutive for the honor.
- In 2014, AVP's men's Team of the Year and Most Valuable Player after the duo won the AVP Championship.
- Finished the 2014 season ranked eighth by the FIVB, winning bronze at the Stare Jablonki Grand Slam.
- Has finished first domestically 18 times, internationally five times.
- Did not play volleyball in college. Started playing volleyball when he was 21, his first partner was his brother Coleman.
- In 2010, Jake found out he had testicular cancer from a USADA drug test. The cancer was removed via surgery and no further treatment was necessary. Jake is a two-time cancer survivor as he has a scar on his shoulder left from a bout with skin cancer in 2004.
DID YOU KNOW
- Formed his current team, with partner Casey Patterson, during the 2013 season. Since then, they've won one gold, two silvers and one bronze at FIVB Grand Slams. (2014 bronze Stare Jablonki, 2013 gold Shanghai, silver Corrientes and Argentina).
- Partnered with Casey Patterson (2013-present); Season Rosenthal (2006-11); Stein Metzger (2005); Adam Jewell (2003-04); Ty Loomis (2003); Mike Daniel (2000-02).
- With Patterson, in 2013 the team medaled in all seven AVP events, including four-straight gold in Cincinnati, Atlantic City, St. Petersburgy and Santa Barbara.
- Has earned the AVP Team of the Year title three times, 2014 and 13 with Casey Patterson and 2005 with Stein Metzger.
- Finished the 2012 season with partner Sean Rosenthal as FIVB SWATCH World Tour champions with 5,280 points. Won the NVL even in Santa Barbara and placed second at Jose Vuervo Pro Beach Series in Huntington Beach. Knocked out of the 2012 Olympic Games after losing in their second match, to Latvia's Plavins and Smedins.
- Finished second at the NVL Miami Beach event, third at the Miami Pro Beach tournament and second at the Jose Cuervo Series Hermosa Beach Open in 2011.
- Played in six AVP events, with a top finsh of second in Santa Barbara with Sean Rosenthal in 2010.
- Won his second Manhattan Beach Open title with Sean Rosenthal in 2009, his first was with Stein Metzger in 2005. Finished the year with four second place finishes and five thirds.
- Ranked seventh with partner Sean Rosenthal, finished the 2008 Olympic Games tied for fifth after losing to Brazil's Santos and Rego in the quarterfinals. Also in 08, won the SWATCH FIVB World Tour even in Prague. Secured Olympic berth in Moscow (July 1-6).
- Domestically in 2008, Gibb won three AVP events with Rosenthal and three out of seven Hot Winter Nights tournaments.
- Between 2006 and 07, with partner Rosenthal, the team won three AVP events, finished second 12 times and third three times.
- In 2005, was named the FIVB Top Rookie and AVP MVP, an improvement off of 2004's AVP Most Improved Player accolade. With partner Stein Metzger, won four events on the AVP tour and finished second three times, third five times.
- Graduated from Utah in 2002 with a business degree.
- Has a twin brother, Coleman, and they are the youngest of 11 children (six boys, five girls). All the boys have the middle name Spiker, their mother's maiden name.
- Married wife Jane in 2000 and they have one son, Crosby, and one daughter, Cora Jane.
ESPN From cancer to Olympics, twice, for US beach star
Deseret News Bountiful's Jake Gibb keeps his promise, wins Pro Beach Volleyball event with fellow Utahn Casey Patterson
Video: AVP - Jake Gibb Toughest Opponent: Cancer
bleacher report Beach Veteran Jake Gibb on the Retur n of AVP and the Beach Volleyball World Tour
Photos: Sports Illustrated - Scenes from AVP Salt Lake City
More Stories ›